Help I Just Made Mmf And It Isnt Smooth!!

Decorating By caramelchef Updated 16 May 2009 , 10:13pm by Laura102777

caramelchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caramelchef Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #1 of 22

HELP I JUST MADE SOME MMF AND IT HAS SOME SMALL BALLS OF PS LEFT IN IT HOW DO I GET THEM OUT .

21 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 22

try a few secs in microwave...maybe that will do it....guess thats why ya need sifting, and I never do that....yikes

caramelchef Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 22

Thats the thing i did sift. i will try the microwave

caramelchef Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 22

Ok does anybody have any other suggestions im all ears.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #5 of 22

The only time I had chunks of powdered sugar in my marshmallow fondant was when I severely overheated the marshmallows in the microwave. It was almost liquefied. The powdered sugar just clumped up, and I had to throw the batch out.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:08am
post #6 of 22

Wait a second, I get those every time I make MMF. I always spend like 10 minutes just picking them out while I knead the dough. I always thought that was just how it worked. Now I wonder if I am heating my marshmallows too much? I am going to have to try less time in the micro. Hmmmmm.

My only suggestion is to do what I have been doing, pick them out one by one as you knead your dough. It sucks and takes forever but that's the nature of the beast. Sorry I couldn't be more help! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #7 of 22

Well geeze I guess more nuke time won't help..............hope someone can help..............

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:14am
post #8 of 22

Just keep kneading and picking them out. I get them too.

caramelchef Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #9 of 22

Its so weird i do mmf all the time and this is the first for this well thanks for the suggestions i will try everything

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:25am
post #10 of 22

To prevent balls of PS in your MMF, only add a small amount of PS for the first stir-in, less than a cup. Doing so absorbs moisture--well, I'm not sure exactly how it works--but it works.

The first two times I add PS to the melted MMs I stir it in well, and then I can dump the rest of the PS in.

And yes, over-melting the MMs isn't good, either. The more liquid the state, the more your PS is going to want to ball up.

If you have them already your stuck trying to pick them out. The easiest way to do it is to pull your fondant like taffy and brush out the beads of PS as tehy surface.

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:28am
post #11 of 22

Welcom to the club!!!
The first time I did MMF it was all clumpy so I just keept on kneading it and then heated ted in a microwave and it was fine.

Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 22

Hey cakesdownthefamilyline...we have the same birthday!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 22

This is the reason I gave up on MMF! I hate picking out those hard bits! And sometimes it leave pock marks? argh!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #14 of 22

I've gotten them and all I do is knead it while it's warm for awhile and they break up that way.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 22

When you melt them in the micro, think of them like chocolate... You want them MOSTLY melted, and the residual heat will finish melting them. that way you aren'y over-melting / burning them. HTH

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 22

Be sure to let your MMF "rest"- preferably overnight (I put mine in the fridge). Several of the recipes I read indicated that this allows any small bits/clumps of PS to be abosrbed into the fondant. I've done this and have never had a problem after it sits (I just made 4 batches this morning!).

Good luck!

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 22

Hmm, I've made lots of MMF and have never had that problem. I make sure to stir the MM every 30-40 seconds and not over-heat. Like someone else said, they should be *mostly* melted and when you take the bowl out of the microwave and stir, they'll finish melting. Then, add the sifted sugar very slowly, as another poster said. Start out slow and mix it in well, then make sure to knead it well and let it rest for an adequate length of time. It sure can be temperamental stuff! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #18 of 22

I use MMF exclusively and never have trouble with those bits anymore.

Pock marks may be caused if you add granulated salt to it (I grind my salt in a coffee grinder because I can't popcorn salt).

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #19 of 22

I've never had that problem, but I would guess that resting over night and a lot of kneeding will remedy.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #20 of 22

Definitely let it rest overnight, then knead gently before you're ready to use it.

I've had tiny clumps of PS immediately after mixing, but the next day when I go to use it they have melted into the fondant.

Resting is the key here.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 16 May 2009 , 9:57pm
post #21 of 22

I had this problem before and letting it rest overnight didnt do the trick. There was sooo much of it. I didnt sift though. I have made MMF before and never sifted, but this time I used a different brand and I wonder if that is why, but I ALWAYS sift it now. How is your fondant now? did you have to pick out all the hard sugar? Thats such a bummer. I was so angry when that happened to me.

Ive had so much trouble with MMF. Of the 6 times Ive made it, 2 turned out usable. Im still hanging in there with it though. I know Ill get the knack of it.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 16 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #22 of 22

I had that problem when I mixed it by hand, but not when I make it in my KitchenAid. Which are you doing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%