How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 18 May 2009 , 6:17am by JaimeAnn

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone! I just finfished this cake this evening, it is for a friend of my son's. My DH looked at it and asked how much I was going to charge for it and I told him $70. He told me it was too much. The cake is a 6 and 9 inch cake (total 44 servings using wilton chart), made with gumpste animals. Is $70 too much? I have been doing cakes for about 3 years and just went back to work full time, so I decided not to give anyone deals anymore. If they wanted my cakes they were going to make it worth my while. Am I wrong to think that? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
LL

14 replies
cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #2 of 15

I think that is totally reasonable ... a bargin really you are charging less then $2/serving - maybe you should reconsider and charge MORE!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #3 of 15

No, CakeBuddy and Mr. CakeBuddy, $70 is not even remotely close to too much.

If they're gonna make it worth your while then you need to give them another chance because it ain't happening this time. icon_biggrin.gif

I figure that cake to serve 54 servings (because they will serve 1x1x2*** inch servings and you might as well get paid for them)

That cake (remember I'm sight unseen here) should be a minimum of $150. $3 a serving is a good starting place for buttercream tier cakes--At least $100 for $2 a serving--no less than that.

***Oops--typo!!! it's supposed to be 1x2x4--so sorry

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #4 of 15

smooth buttercream, even tops, cute animals, 70 is beyond reasonable.

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #5 of 15

Omg Omg it's too cute! (I couldn't see it before) You could easily, handily double your price, nothing doubting--$150 no worries no kidding.

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #6 of 15

So if this is your first cake for this crowd where you're saying you just went back to work--consider giving them an invoice with the real price and the discount down to $70 bcause it's real hard to raise prices otherwise--just something to think about.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #7 of 15

beautiful cake!! $70.00 .. way to cheap... $125.00-150.00... you,re too good .. not to charge that..

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #8 of 15

using Wilton's party size servings (wedding size servings are soooo tiny) that would be 36 servings - I'd say anywhere between 70 and 100 would be about right, NOT including the adorable fondant decorations!

DEFINITELY not overpriced.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 15

I dont think you DH paid attention to how much work you put into that cake. The baking, the stacking, the smoothing, the making of the animals and decorating. You really need to charge at least 2.50/ serving. I love the cake by the way! If you broke it down for him, the cost of all the items involved the ingredients and construction, told him what the balance left was, and then the hours it took you to do this, he would see you undercharged.

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 17 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 15

I agree with the other posters that $70 is a bargain for that cake, which is absolutely adorable by the way. I never listen to my DH when he tries to give me cake advice--you're a far more patient woman than I!! LOL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 15

You definitely need to charge more! Your cake is super cute!!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 17 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 15

I was going to say at least $100...but probably more like $120. Your price is more than reasonable.

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #13 of 15

Wow! That's awesome work you did. I love the detailing and I can imagine it must taste every bit as good as it looks too. I hope one day to accomplish making something so beautiful.

If I were making a purchase and I didn't know you then I would have expected to pay more, double at minimum. However, if you were doing this as a "favor" to your friend then I can see where you'd charge only $70. For whatever reason we tend to give our friends and families a "break". At least the materials alone should be compensated if you choose to throw in the labor. Otherwise, you may want to consider charging full price across the board.
thumbs_up.gif

DCGCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCGCakes Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #14 of 15

Your cake is awesome! What a lucky kid!

I liked what k8memphis said

"So if this is your first cake for this crowd where you're saying you just went back to work--consider giving them an invoice with the real price and the discount down to $70 bcause it's real hard to raise prices otherwise--just something to think about."

I'll use that myself......one day!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:17am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

So if this is your first cake for this crowd where you're saying you just went back to work--consider giving them an invoice with the real price and the discount down to $70 bcause it's real hard to raise prices otherwise--just something to think about.

That is exactly what I do! Even when baking for friends or family I make sure to give them my actual public price then give them a VIP discount. That way I am not devaluing my work but giving them a special price for being VIP!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%