Need Immediate Help W/smbc Please!!!

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 16 May 2009 , 3:55am by 3GCakes

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, so I'm working on a cake as we speak and I made Elisa Strauss' SMBC. While it tastes wonderful, I am not sure if I did it right. It seems smooth but then it has sort of a consistency of whipped cream. I made it about an hour ago and it doesn't seem to deflate like whipped topping but when you taste it, it kind of feels creamy and like whipped topping at the same time. Is this correct??? I am scared to use it under my fondant because I am scared it will eat at the fondant like whipped topping. Please help because if I can't use it, I have to make two batches of regular buttercream as soon as possible.!!!!

TIA,
Cari

11 replies
maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 12

It's really creamy. Did you let it beat until you heard a slapping noise? I think it tastes like vanilla ice cream.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 12

It sounds right! It won't "deflate"....normally it just gets a little airy if you leave it too long.

I make IMBC and it has the consistency of soft whipped butter. I can pipe with it and smooth a cake.

I think you did it right. If it gets too soft, you can put it into the fridge and let it firm up a bit.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 12

I would not suggest using it under the fondant. I have used if for fillings then just did a crumb coat in buttercream.

As posted already, let it set a little in the fridge. Just watch it because it will set like butter if you leave it to long. About 15 minutes should be good.

Hope this help icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 12

By the way, I use IMBC under fondant and it's fine.

I know several who use SMBC under fondant all the time, one that comes to mind is FROMSCRATCH.

preciosa225 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 12

I know I must have done something wrong because while it tastes great (just like vanilla icecream), the texture is definitely wrong! I've attached a photo, so if anyone knows how to fix it from here, please help.

Thanks again!
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 12

I use it under fondant all the time.

Is it curdled? You just keep beating it if it's curdled.Unless the butter melted in the hot eggs or from too hot a room.

Is it really warm in your kitchen?? if yes, set the timer for 10 minutes and put ithe icing in the frige and take it out when the timer dings and beat the heck out of it.

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 12

It's realy easy to freak out making smbc--it does curdle--just keep beating the heck out of it--no worries!

preciosa225 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks a bunch! It was very liquidy when I first did it and the recipe says that if it's liquidy to put it in the fridge until it sets and then beat it. I did that and beat it for about 3 minutes on high and it was still like this so I figured there was no hope. So I should just put it back on the mixer and let it rip for however long it takes to become smooth and together?

I will try it.

Thanks,
Cari

-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 12

Just beat the freak out of it icon_biggrin.gif

3GCakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Just beat the freak out of it icon_biggrin.gif

You made me spit out my chewed up chee-toh. icon_biggrin.gif

3GCakes Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #12 of 12

Might I add, also...that I have made many many many many batches of IMBC....and have never thrown one out...no matter what it looked like. It still tastes good enough to use on something.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%