Cupcake Tasting

Baking By sweet_teeth Updated 20 May 2009 , 1:20pm by Brownie1954

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 15

Hi guys icon_smile.gif

I've done 'regular' tastings before, but never a cupcake tasting. I'm a bit lost on how to go about it.

The bride has a set of flavors she wants to try: white w/ raspberry, coconut w/ cream cheese coconut frosting, graham cracker w/ key lime filling and both key lime whipped topping and key lime cream cheese frosting, and chocolate w/ peanut butter filling w/ regular ole buttercream.

Cupcakes are generally much bigger than the typical peice of cake I let customers sample. I just feel like cooking individual cupcakes for each flavor is a lot of cake.. and much more cake than needed.

Any suggestions? I thought about mini cupcakes but then again, those are a bit too little to put the fillings in. I also thought about mini round cake that they can slice from (5 people are coming.. ugh I need a backbone!), but I find that cakes/cupcakes come out a bit differently when baked.

Suggestions/pictures/past experiences are welcomed and appreciated!

Thank you guys =)

14 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 15

Question -

Are these flavors you normally offer, or are they what the bride has decided you should make for her?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweet_teeth Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 15

I don't have a coconut so I said I'll figure out a recipe for that... lol.. still looking.

But I do offer the others. She saw a picture of key lime cupcakes I made and that's when she messaged me do to her 'cupcake wedding'. I really didn't have a backbone on this one.. but have now learned from experience and will NEVER allow this random and this many choices again. It's such a waste of cake! I can freeze some of the leftovers for future cakes.. but graham cracker cake!? I don't think that will be a common request..or coconut icon_sad.gif

Lol I deserve a big kick in the rear for allowing them to choose for me, don't I!?

sweet_teeth Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 15

Come on.. hasn't someone done one of these?

icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 15

Yes - i have but never had anyone ask to try so many conflicting types.
Fair enough if they want to try my Mud Cakes (White Chocolate and Dark Chocolate) OR two different types of Sponge Cake - or my fruit cake BUT white w/ raspberry, coconut w/ cream cheese coconut frosting, graham cracker w/ key lime filling and both key lime whipped topping and key lime cream cheese frosting, and chocolate w/ peanut butter filling w/ regular ole buttercream. -
thats just plain greedy and alot of work for you....IMO.
I mean - peanutbutter compared to w/raspberry - its from one extreme to the other. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
I would seriously be phoning her and asking what *TYPE* of flavour she wishes to have........
Sharp = lime/
Sweet = berry/coconut types
Standard = peanutbutter.

Are you charging her for each batch of batter you have to make - or do you have all of these little cupcakes premade and in your freezer.?
Is that 8 i ccounted - icon_surprised.gif

No way would i be making 8 batches of batter - because to me it sounds like she just wants a feed at your place- and really has no clue as to what she wants.

8.......*faint*
And if you do - charge her for every taste test.
Bluehue.

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 15

I would definitely not let her taste all those flavors first off...that is a pretty expensive tasting for someone who, if they have not put any money down yet could decide to not even buy the cupcakes from you in the end. Also, that is kind of outrageous that this girl is expecting you to be giving a tasting to 5 people. I would not plop down 5 people's worth of cake, I would put down 2 and make them have to share if they all want a taste. I would tell her she can taste 2 cake flavors and maybe 3 frosting flavors free of charge (unless she wants to taste something you always have on hand), anything beyond that she will be charged for. If she doesn't like that, let her walk...it sounds like this bride could bring more headaches to come anyway. I don't know how you do your regular cake testings, but I really wouldn't do it differently, the only thing that will be different between cake and cupcake is the shaped in which it is presented, they will both taste the same.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 15

I feel your pain.. I too did a cupcake tasting and made at least 5 different flavors icon_cry.gif I did not get the order! They changed their mind and went in a completely different direction. A family friend wound up making the cake (or so I was told). Keep the tasting to a minimum in the future and just chalk this up to one of those "life lessons" we all need to learn from! thumbs_up.gif

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #8 of 15

off topic= wanna share ur graham cracker cake recipe? plz?? icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #9 of 15

Hey...Let her know she can have up to three flacvors. After that you charge for each additional one. There are people who can be such pigs about this....Are you allowed to take samples out to some different places? The oodles of cake that is going to be left over would be a good way for you to advertise....Just remember (no insult meant if you already know! icon_razz.gif ) that they would have to be packaged and labeled if they were to go out....That is what I do with mine, but I am licensed to do this.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:51am
post #10 of 15

I thought the purpose behind a tasting was for her to decide if she comfortable with your baking skills, not for her to decide on a flavor. What if, after tasting all those different combos, she decides she wants something else. Are you going to do more combos for her. That is ridiculous.

Brownie1954 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #11 of 15

I don't know about anyone else, but a tasting is for more than one thing. The bride needs to know what flavor cake/icing/fillings she'll want at the reception, no matter who she chooses as the baker. She chooses from the flavors she picked for this tasting. If she's smart, she will take notes, then go home look them over, and compare the information to any other tastings she's gone to, then make a decision.
Tasting the cakes themselves shows her what kind of work the baker does, just by the way the cakes are presented, the flavor, moistness, etc. Is the baker asking questions, giving information, working up a design for the cake, or checking out a design the bride brought? It all ties in together. That's my opinion, even thought no one asked for it! icon_razz.gif

shell62995 Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:06am
post #12 of 15

i'm finding all this info very interesting!

sweet_teeth Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #13 of 15

Hi guys icon_smile.gif I must have worded the question wrong. I didn't really have an issue w/ the amount of flavors/combos.. i just couldn't figure out a logical way to have her taste it. W/ cake i'd usually just bake mini rounds, fill and frost, and then cut tiny pieces. W/ the cupcakes, I didn't want to serve about 8 full cupcakes to each person because it would be such a waste.

Anyway, I did end up serving full sized cupcakes for each flavor combo and she narrowed it down to five flavors for the wedding. She even offered to pay for the tasting and stated that "she didn't realize she had asked for so much until she saw everything.." She was a very pleasant bride and booked me immediately icon_smile.gif

I have two different recipes for the graham cracker cake. i'll post the wasc variation for right now since i'm not in the kitchen and it's easy to memorize.. and as soon as I get into the kitchen tomorrow i'll post the scratch one.

1 box yellow (i find them moister than white.. but it could just be me)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 package cheesecake pudding
1/2 dram honey extract
3/4 cup crushed graham crackers (name brand -- they have MUCH more flavor)
1 cup white sugar (the gourmet thread uses brown sugar. I've tried it twice and didn't like the results)
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup vanilla creamer
1/2 cup water

It's pretty much my standard wasc but with crushed graham crackers. The batter is delicious!! When I make cupcakes with it, i do a graham cracker crust (the type found on cheesecakes) at the bottom of every cupcake liner. It's so so so yummy!

shell62995 Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

Hi guys icon_smile.gif I must have worded the question wrong. I didn't really have an issue w/ the amount of flavors/combos.. i just couldn't figure out a logical way to have her taste it. W/ cake i'd usually just bake mini rounds, fill and frost, and then cut tiny pieces. W/ the cupcakes, I didn't want to serve about 8 full cupcakes to each person because it would be such a waste.

Anyway, I did end up serving full sized cupcakes for each flavor combo and she narrowed it down to five flavors for the wedding. She even offered to pay for the tasting and stated that "she didn't realize she had asked for so much until she saw everything.." She was a very pleasant bride and booked me immediately icon_smile.gif

I have two different recipes for the graham cracker cake. i'll post the wasc variation for right now since i'm not in the kitchen and it's easy to memorize.. and as soon as I get into the kitchen tomorrow i'll post the scratch one.

1 box yellow (i find them moister than white.. but it could just be me)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 package cheesecake pudding
1/2 dram honey extract
3/4 cup crushed graham crackers (name brand -- they have MUCH more flavor)
1 cup white sugar (the gourmet thread uses brown sugar. I've tried it twice and didn't like the results)
1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup vanilla creamer
1/2 cup water

It's pretty much my standard wasc but with crushed graham crackers. The batter is delicious!! When I make cupcakes with it, i do a graham cracker crust (the type found on cheesecakes) at the bottom of every cupcake liner. It's so so so yummy!

thanks!
I am so glad your tasting turned out well and she booked you! Way to go! Just curious- What did she choose?

Brownie1954 Posted 20 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #15 of 15

I am happy to hear that the bride liked your cakes, and booked with you. And, I must give her credit....I have never had a bride offer to pay for the tasting! It sounds like it turned out good for everyone! YAY...... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%