Self Rising Flour Vs All Purpose Flour..

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 16 May 2009 , 1:35pm by imamommy1205

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 15 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 9

I was just starting to make a cake and I realized that the new bag of flourt I opened is self rising flour and not all purpose flour. Can I still use it in my recipe. I am making WASC. Thanks in advance. icon_confused.gif

8 replies
cathie_shinnick Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 9

please please please icon_smile.gif :0 if anyone knows, I really, really need to get this cake in the oven, I have 3 more to make.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, but if the WASC recipe has baking powder in it, you will need to reduce the amount of baking powder you add to your self-raising mixture.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 9

I use self rising anyway--yes and eliminate any additional baking powder and salt. You might like it better than using ap--I do.

cathie_shinnick Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try.

cathie_shinnick Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #6 of 9

Well I made 3 cakes with the selfrising flour and I hate to say that all of the middles of my cakes fell. Oh well, live and learn.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 9

Too bad. I love mine with self rising. That's all I've ever used for wasc.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 16 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #8 of 9

In Autralia we use SR flour a fair bit in home baking. One thing to remember is that not all SR flours are created equally, and also, the rising agents in it can go stale, resulting in a cake which won't rise properly. You can test your SR flour by putting a dab on your tongue (tip): if it zings, its okay. (This is also a handy trick when you forgot which flour bin you put your flour into!!)

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 9

The only time I ever used self rising flour for cakes they just didnt rise as much as I wanted. So if I had to use it again I would just add less baking powder then the recipe called for. I usually just get the 25lb bag of all-purpose flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%