MistyNV30 Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:58am
post #1 of

My Dad wants me to make a carrot cake with cream cheese icing for my aunt.
What kind of filling would you use? Or would you use cream cheese.
This would be the first time that I would be using any kind of
fillings in my cakes. Is there a crusting cream cheese recipe that I could use? And is it possible to make roses out of it
or should I do buttercream or maybe fondantroses?
Any help would be great. Thanks

15 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:08am
post #2 of

if there is pineapple in the carrot cake, make a pineapple filling or a cream cheese filling flavored with pineapple
if you make the cream cheese icing stiff enough, you could make the decorations out of it

Evoir Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:17am
post #3 of

I'd do a lemon-scented cheesecake filling. I tend to use fresh lemon zest for this, so its not good for piping anything small.

cutthecake Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:44am
post #4 of

If you're looking for ideas, and not specific recipes, Costco uses an apricot filling in their carrot cakes, which sounds interesting.

bashini Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #5 of

You can use cream cheese buttercream as a filling. I really like Toba Garretts Cream Cheese buttercream recipe. icon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #6 of

Here's the cake recipe that I use:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/spiced-walnut-carrot-cake-with-pineapple-recipe/index.html

Here's the frosting recipe that I use:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cream-Cheese-Frosting-II-2/Detail.aspx

Everyone loves this combination.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of

I would try to do a pineapple creamcheese filling. I think that would be super yummy.

I want to make carrot cake now!!

bakedbycody Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of

Costco does an apricot mouse, it is soooo good inside a carrot cake

bakedbycody Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #9 of

opps, i meant mousse not mouse....GEEZ!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:43pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakedbycody

opps, i meant mousse not mouse....GEEZ!

lol! That could go along with the fish cake that I just read about on the forums!

"And if you wish to utterly astound your guests, we offer mice and fish cakes..." yummy!

MistyNV30 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:44am

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to make one up tomorrow and try it out.

icer101 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:56am

this is a filling i use at times in my carrot cakes.. 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple.. 3/4-1 cup of sugar.. 2 tsp. of real lemon juice.(roll the lemon).. 1 TBS. of cornstarch... stir.. bring this to a lite boil.. for about 5 minutes.. stirring all the time.. set aside.. i use real orange juice(roll the oranges) and orange zest in my regular cream cheese icing recipe.. it is really good . my mama use to make pineapple filling like i have here.. it is really good..

conb Posted 16 May 2009 , 1:09am

I'm not sure of where you are located, but Phila. brand cream cheese makes a cheese cake filling which taste great. I have used this as a filling in a carrot cake. Everyone loved it! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 1:36am
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

You can use cream cheese buttercream as a filling. I really like Toba Garretts Cream Cheese buttercream recipe. icon_smile.gif

Did you find it to be rather thin in consistency?

bashini Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:16am

To my knowledge its not that thin. I like it. But I always put any cake with cream cheese frosting in the fridge. icon_smile.gif This helps the filling to get a bit more firm. icon_smile.gif

Ninky Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:35am

I always use a cream cheese buttercream, with a touch of powered ginger, vanilla and half a lemon zest and juice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%