Need Help From Tennessee Home Bakers For Inspection

Business By Alicia0620 Updated 19 May 2009 , 10:33pm by cakeschmake

Alicia0620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alicia0620 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 23

Well, I'm trying to prepare my home so I can schedule inspection. I just purchased a small ref which I was told from my food safety class that having a second ref was a must in order to operate from a domestic kitchen. But what else do I need to have done so I can call and schedule, and furthermore, PASS inspection? The quicker I pass inspection, the quicker I can get my license which I am so excited about. I remember little things like having paper towels in the bathroom, having ingredients labeled... But can I just leave the ingredients in their original package because it's already clearly labeled? I remember them saying I needed to have some kind of sanitizer for my pans and untensils under the sink, but what do you all use? Do you use 50/50 bleach and water? Please help with ANY suggestions, tips, or advice.
For some reason I get the feeling about inspection like I did when I was trying to pass my driver's license test when I was 16 icon_confused.gif and I was a nervous wreck!! lol.. I know it's not that bad. Anyway, thanks again!

22 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 23

You really need someone from your area to advise you. I'm in Tennessee and Shelby County will not allow decorated cakes to be sold from home, period--so it's a very localized thing.

And congrats to you!!! I know you'll do fine.

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 23

Well actually the other thing you need to know is the licensing or certification or whatever it is offically called that is granted by the state of 10C is not for the sale of decorated cake it's for Farmer's Market type products. So that distinction goes by locale also. Some officials will let that slide. Ours here will not. <grimace>

But again--multiple congratulations--but get your info locally.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 23

Are you doing the program through the Dept. of Agriculture?
If so, it only applies to those who are selling at Farmer's Markets an such, things that are baked, packaged, an then sold.
It doesn't apply to those who are baking cakes based on orders received. I'm not sure why but the Dept. has been misleading lots of people on this. There are a couple of threads on here about it, some where out quite a bit of money.

Like previously said, the state doesn't allow baking in the home kitchen, you have to have a seperate kitchen.

I do wish you the best of luck an hope I haven't come off sounding rude or mean. I just don't want others to be mislead like so many of us have.

Good Luck! Katie

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 23

I am in Davidson County in Nashville and we have to have a complete separate kitchen in order to be able to sell home baked goods. We can not have any customers come to our home, so everything would have to be delivered. That would mean no appointments and no tastings at your home. Like K8 suggested, you should call your localy HD and find out just what they are looking for in order to get inspected. They are the ones that can help you on this.

sweetrevenge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetrevenge Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 23

Check with your local health department. I got lucky. The local inspector told me that as long as I had the permit from the state, they would leave me alone. icon_biggrin.gif

Alicia0620 Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 23

Sweetrevenge- what permit are you talking about? I was told at the food safety class, I needed inspection then I could get my license. No one ever said anything about a permit. Kingsport huh?? You're not too far from me, well maybe a couple of hours.

sweetrevenge Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #8 of 23

The permit is just the certification you receive when you have completed the course and passed the initial inspection. You will still need to obtain a business license and meet any local requirements. Where did you take the Domestic Kitchen Course? And where is Louisville?

Alicia0620 Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 23

I had to take the food safety course in Nashville. I've already gotten my certification from them. Louisville is in between Knoxville and Alcoa. Did you tell the inspector when they arrived that you were planning on decoratoring cakes? And what all did you have to have done for inspection? Like I mentioned, I just got the 2nd small ref so I'm on a start.

sweetrevenge Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 23

When I took the class, I spoke with the instructor and the guy that was over everything in Nashville. They cautioned me then to check with my county health department because some might consider it catering. It will vary from county to county. In other words, you can make a 100 cakes per week to sell at a farmers market or to a local store, but you can't make one for a customer that calls you first. Crazy! My local HD inspector told me no at first, but once he checked into the program, he gave me the ok. I am still getting ready for my inspection also. I still work full time (for now) so it limits the amount of time I get to spend on it.

Alicia0620 Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 23

I here ya sweetrevenge. I'm a SAHM with a non stop almost 2yr old! But I spoke to my local HD and I told him that I was going to be making a very small amout, maybe even less than 100 a year! But I wanted to be legal in doing so and he said he didn't see why I couldn't go ahead since I'd be doing such a small amout of cakes. And he was the one that even recomended me to stray away from going through them because it would be a bigger deal with more requirements. Well.. I guess all I can do is try. AT the very least I'll be licensed to sell 100 cakes to the farmer's market lol.

sweetrevenge Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #12 of 23

The part that is going to be the most confusing for me is the labeling. The ingrediants list has to be on every box that goes out just like we are selling retail. I think my kitchen is almost ready. icon_cool.gif Let me know what happens when you call for inspection.

Alicia0620 Posted 15 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 23

So did you order special label stickers? Or are you just printing off and taping onto the box? And if you ordered them where did you get them from? Do you have your sanitizing stuff for your pans and utensils and what are you using for it?

sweetrevenge Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:14am
post #14 of 23

I have purchased a stick on label that I will print on the computer. I am using the bleach mixture but I still need to purchase the chlorine test strips. Chlorox makes a premade spray sanitizer that says it is safe around food. I wonder if that is acceptable??

Alicia0620 Posted 16 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #15 of 23

Chlorine test strips? I had totally forgotten about those. We HAVE to have those? I'm not sure about the spray. The guy told us in the class that we HAD to soak our things and then let air dry. Who knows.. There's sooo much to keep up with and think of.

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:11am
post #16 of 23

I am in Rhea County, sort of in between Knoxville and Chattanooga. and its okay to do in my county without being considered catering
I was recently approved for my permit and passed my inspection...
even though I had a spray bottle with bleach/water mixture ready, the Dept of Ag inspector didnt ask to see it. I just bought a bottle of Clorox and used the directions on the bottle to figure how much to mix up to use as a sanitizer and she was sure to ask if that is what I used to clean with. She did not mention needing test strips, thankfully...
As far as labels go, i buy large address labels and created some for the ingredients list, allergy warning, contents, date produced, and weigh/measurement label and a name and address label, they did want to see those before i was approved
hope this helps, and good luck

sweetrevenge Posted 18 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #17 of 23

That is wonderful! Congratulations! What other things did she check for? I am beginning to get nervous.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 18 May 2009 , 8:31pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

I am in Davidson County in Nashville and we have to have a complete separate kitchen in order to be able to sell home baked goods. We can not have any customers come to our home, so everything would have to be delivered. That would mean no appointments and no tastings at your home. Like K8 suggested, you should call your localy HD and find out just what they are looking for in order to get inspected. They are the ones that can help you on this.

I am in Davidson County as well and I got my kitchen inspected. He didn't say I had to have a separate kitchen to operate. He did tell me that everything is kind of in the air right now, so, I will be okay under the domestic kitchen license until everything is worked out.

To the OP:

Don't be nervous, it was really easy!! they didn't check for chlorine strips, however, they did ask me how did I wash my dishes, made sure I had a separate refrigerator, checked my lights to make sure they were covered, made sure I didn't have any pets, etc. The guy who inspected my kitchen was very helpful. It only took about 30 minutes tops!!

cakeschmake Posted 18 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrevenge

That is wonderful! Congratulations! What other things did she check for? I am beginning to get nervous.

I was extremely nervous, but really had no need to be..
everything was really clean, in fact she only glanced into the bathroom that I scrubbed to make sure there was soap and paper towels icon_smile.gif
she glanced into the separate fridge, checked the thermometers in there,
i pointed out where i kept my pans and utensils and she looked under the cabinet where i keep cleaning supplies, she looked thru all of my wilton colors to and told me to make sure that i include that on the labels.
what took the most time was her filling out paperwork and asking me questions, she was there for over an hour but she only looked around for a few minutes.
she was very friendly and helpful... she said she would check in again in about 6 months and i wont worry at all about the next one since it was so easy the first time!

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetrevenge

I was extremely nervous, but really had no need to be..
everything was really clean, in fact she only glanced into the bathroom that I scrubbed to make sure there was soap and paper towels icon_smile.gif
she glanced into the separate fridge, checked the thermometers in there,
i pointed out where i kept my pans and utensils and she looked under the cabinet where i keep cleaning supplies, she looked thru all of my wilton colors to and told me to make sure that i include that on the labels.
what took the most time was her filling out paperwork and asking me questions, she was there for over an hour but she only looked around for a few minutes.
she was very friendly and helpful... she said she would check in again in about 6 months and i wont worry at all about the next one since it was so easy the first time!

I'm very happy for you!!

But why can't this happen in my county? (!)

cakeschmake Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #21 of 23

[quote="k8memphisI'm very happy for you!!

But why can't this happen in my county? (!)[/quote]

Thanks, K8
Believe me I really feel your pain... when I thought that all of TN worked the way your county does, I was very upset...
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Its just not fair for you icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
If there is any way to band together like some of the other states, and change the law... I'd be happy to do what I can...

-K8memphis Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I'm very happy for you!!
But why can't this happen in my county? (!)

Thanks, K8
Believe me I really feel your pain... when I thought that all of TN worked the way your county does, I was very upset...
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Its just not fair for you icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
If there is any way to band together like some of the other states, and change the law... I'd be happy to do what I can...

You're sweet--it's the zoning board here locally.
Besides I think the more attention we draw to the issue the more the localites that do allow it might cut back on it.

I say let it ride. Except for letting me whine ocassionally. icon_lol.gif

I do have it in process to do cakes legally from work so we'll see how that goes.

cakeschmake Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

You're sweet--it's the zoning board here locally.
Besides I think the more attention we draw to the issue the more the localites that do allow it might cut back on it.

I say let it ride. Except for letting me whine ocassionally. icon_lol.gif

I do have it in process to do cakes legally from work so we'll see how that goes.

you've got a point... hope it works out for you icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%