Thank Heaven I'm Thick-Skinned!!

Decorating By JGMB Updated 14 May 2009 , 2:44pm by tirechic

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 15

I gave a cake to my inlaws on Monday. As you can see under the posted photo, I had said that the flowers were awful. I didn't realize HOW awful until I got an e-mail from my mother-in-law this morning that said, "Thanks for the delicious cake!! Dad really liked the palm trees and waves on the sides." I'll never correct them, because they'd be mortified, but my husband and I got a good laugh out of it!!!
LL

14 replies
kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 15

I think it's a very pretty cake!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 15

WOW! An actual "THANK YOU"....... people don't do very often any more....

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 15

I think it's cute!

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 15

Well, she might mistaken the flowers for Palm Trees, but the cake turned out beautiful. Don't be so hard on yourself, you just invented a new design and it looks beautiful!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 15

I can see how they were mistaken, mainly because the colors give it a "tropical" feel. It's a really pretty cake though, and I love the color combination!

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 15

personally i thought the cake was very cute....GREAT JOB!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 15

What do they call those...sideways compliments (I call them "bless your hearts")...a dig disguised as a compliment. I'm not saying that that was the intention, that would be how I would've taken it.

I love the color combination. Something about it makes me think of pyramid drawings.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 15

I think it's a great cake....sounds like an innocent enough misinterpretation.... icon_confused.gif ..?????

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 15

JGMB, i read you post and then waited with baited breath to see the picture -
Nearly fell off my chair as i searched through tears of laughter looking for the jolly palm trees.
Called my DH in and we both laughed - AT THE THOUGHT that people had thought they were palm trees and waves. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Beautiful cake - loveeee the colour combination.
What colour is the pink you used ?- so vibrant - love it....and please don't come back and tell me it is RED - icon_redface.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

My DH just said to tell you
"next year do a cake with actual palm trees and waves on it" -
its ok, i have sent him from the room now - icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 15

I think it's a lovely complement for a brilliant abstract cake--
-Beauty and palm trees are in the eye of the beholder.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

What do they call those...sideways compliments (I call them "bless your hearts")...a dig disguised as a compliment. I'm not saying that that was the intention, that would be how I would've taken it.

No, no, no I guarantee it wasn't a dig!! These are the best inlaws a girl could ask for.

In fact, I nearly killed my mother-in-law last week, and she took it in stride -- even said that it was her fault!!! Long story short, my FIL was in rehab (for Physical Therapy, not drug addiction icon_lol.gif ), so I had taken my MIL to the grocery store. When we came out, it was raining, and I told her to get in the car and I'd put everything in the hatchback. What happened next is a blur -- the groceries were all in and I slammed the door down. For some reason, she was still there but I hadn't seen her, and the door cracked her right on the top of her head. The blood gushed like you wouldn't believe!!!

We rushed to the urgent care place, got her dermabonded back together, a CAT scan, etc. So, she's fine and never blamed me one bit.

There was one funny part -- the young Dr. came in to take care of her. We told her what had happened and she said to me, "Aw, is this your mom?" I said no, MIL and she said, "Oh, come on, you've been gunnin' for her for years!!" Luckily, both my MIL and I found it funny!!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 15

I have to agree. I think they genuinely loved the beautiful design on the cake. No matter what you think it is, it is still beautiful. You can send me a cake anytime at all... icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 15

I reckon I should've clarified that by saying that's how I would've taken it had it been MY MIL...'cause that's for sure what it would've been!

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #15 of 15

Well said k8, but i think that husband has a good idea, give em palm trees and waves next year, they would just think it was a different design. I felt so bad for that mil, but the dr was funny, humor is always the best medicine. I think the cake is great, and also love the colors, but i really like the little "wave" design on the side, very clever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%