Orange Dreamsicle Cake - So Confused!!

Decorating By batter_up Updated 20 May 2009 , 2:12am by sandykay

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 56

Hi,
I've emailed Macsmom about this and I am waiting for an answer, but just in case she is not online in the next day I am hoping you all can help.

I want to try the Dreamsicle cake but I keep finding different variations of the recipe and I need this to turn out. I just threw out the champagne cake I tried to salvage. This is getting too expensive for me.

I want to make the one with orange sherbet, orange cream yogurt and the Betty Crocker white cake mix.

The big problem is that some of the recipes add flour and sugar along with the cake mix and others just have the cake mix. I am soooo confused.

I have been searching on this all day and have gotten really frustrated with it. Please, someone help.

Oh, also the mix I bought already has pudding added to it. Do you still put in the instant vanilla pudding?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

55 replies
sandykay Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 56

I made this one over the weekend and it turned out great. This recipe doen't have any pudding in it, but I believe on the "gourmet Flavors" thread Macmom said she used Betty Crocker, I however used Duncan Hines. I followed the recipe to a tee.

Orange Dreamsicle - MacsMom
2 boxes white cake mix
2 c melted orange sherbet
2/3 c OJ or diet orange soda (soda suggested by cinderspritzer: "I added ... diet sunkist soda.... and it tastes FREAKING AWESOME!!!")
2 c flour
2 c sugar
3 (6oz) orange creamsicle yogurt
6 eggs
1/4 c oil
1 T orange extract
*Perhaps some food coloring

Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

splash2splat Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #3 of 56

Just a side note when I made it I had to cook it a little longer than normal - but very good.

jdelaney81 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #4 of 56

Not to hijack the thread...But what would the best icing for this cake be? Buttercream, cream cheese, flavored buttercream...? TIA icon_biggrin.gif

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #5 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash2splat

Just a side note when I made it I had to cook it a little longer than normal - but very good.




Thank you so much for your reply.

What size of cake did you make? I want to make 2 10" rounds. I was wondering if you also might have the cooking directions for it. Otherwise, I was thinking I would do 350 and just check it after 35 minutes or so.

The pink champagne cake cooked for 48 minutes and still ended up not being done! icon_cry.gif It had a large amount of liquid in it too. So, naturally I am worried about cooking this one long enough.

sandykay Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #6 of 56

Don't know if it's the best but I filled it with Richs Bettercream with orange flavoring added, it would have made a good icing, but for what I needed the cake for I used BC with a touch of orange flavoring added.

patticakesnc Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #7 of 56

I would pair it with a good vanilla buttercream.

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:39am
post #8 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelaney81

Not to hijack the thread...But what would the best icing for this cake be? Buttercream, cream cheese, flavored buttercream...? TIA icon_biggrin.gif




IF my cake turns out, and that is a BIG IF, I plan on these which I have adapted from other recipes by changing the flavorings only. I have never made either of these and can't say they are perfect, but they sound good.

Orange Bavarian Creme in between layers:
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 pinch salt
6 tbsp granulated sugar
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract (adjusting all extracts to taste)

On the outside:

Creamy Orange/Vanilla Frosting
1 cup softened butter
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup diet Sunkist
few drops orange food coloring
1 tsp vanilla
orange extract to taste
5 additional cups powdered sugar

noyhoward Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 56

I've done my cake & cupcakes & filled & frosted with bettercreme,it's so good.

pebblez87 Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #10 of 56

ive done this cake several times now just cause everybody who tries it loves it, it will be rather sticky and moist but its delicious and i used the recipe that sandykay posted

mommy2_3boys Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:19am
post #11 of 56

Does the diet soda give it that weird sweetener taste. I can't stand that taste. Would regular orange soda work?

I was going to use this recipe for my cake I am making for Friday.

Rcrewof10 Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #12 of 56

batter_up

You said the champagne wasn't done. These cakes, depending on the pan, will take a long time to cook. Don't be surprised if it cooks for over an hour. I'm making both the pink champagne (actually strawberry champagne) and the orange dreamsicle tomorrow for a graduation cake. I will be baking it in a 14 X 22 pan. I'm guessing it will take at least 1 1/2 hrs to bake. Just keep checking on it.

The recipe Sandykay posted is the one I have used with no problem. I've made it twice now. First time I used oj and the 2nd time I used orange pop (not diet).

Good luck

Michele

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyhoward

I've done my cake & cupcakes & filled & frosted with bettercreme,it's so good.




I'm new to this....for the most part so forgive my ignorance but what is "bettercreme" and where can you buy it? Thanks

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #14 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcrewof10

batter_up

You said the champagne wasn't done. These cakes, depending on the pan, will take a long time to cook. Don't be surprised if it cooks for over an hour. I'm making both the pink champagne (actually strawberry champagne) and the orange dreamsicle tomorrow for a graduation cake. I will be baking it in a 14 X 22 pan. I'm guessing it will take at least 1 1/2 hrs to bake. Just keep checking on it.

The recipe Sandykay posted is the one I have used with no problem. I've made it twice now. First time I used oj and the 2nd time I used orange pop (not diet).

Good luck

Michele




Yes, that is my main concern...being underdone again. I guess why I pulled it out of the oven before it was done is because the top was looking like it was getting quite brown. I'm not an experienced cake baker so this made me think it was getting overdone! I used a toothpick and it picked up a few crumbs so I thought okay-done! Maybe I should look for the toothpick being totally clean?
Thank you though for telling me it could take an hour. I would've been worried to leave it in that long. I am using a Wilton 10" round (2" high) pan.

Rcrewof10 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #15 of 56

batter_up

Something you might want to look at if the top is getting brown first and the bottom (when you take it out of the pan) is not really brown, you might want to lower your rack in your oven. I have an electric oven. I need to position my rack 1 lower so it browns equally.

Something to consider. I haven't done the 10" pans yet. Only big pans.

Let me know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Michele

samiam22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #16 of 56

I think that you might want to consider lowering your oven temp to 325 degrees. I have noticed that most recipes on this site call for 325 so I have adjusted my cooking temp and do not seem to get brown tops. I agree though that they do seem to cook a little longer but well worth it. I love all of macsmom's and cake centrals recipes so far. They are great. People ask me for my recipes and I say they are secret lol...thanks cake central.

sadsmile Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:52pm
post #17 of 56

Yes samiam is correct. If you know a cake is going to take longer to bak then lower the temp. I have a sticky chocolate one that I bake even lower at 320 for an hour and it comes out great. Lowering the temperatur allows it to cook through with out getting over done on the outside. It also reduces the humps that bake up in the middle so there is les to discard when leveling.

alvarezmom Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:54pm
post #18 of 56

I'm not one for adding all kinds of stuff to my mixes. I normally just add in some pudding...but I did find a recipe for the Orange Dreamsicle and EVERY one loves it....... This might not even be the way you make it but it sure does get great reviews......

1 Box Duncan Hines Orange cake mix----prepare and bake according to box.
Let cool.

1 Package Jello Orange ---- prepare according to box.

Polk holes in cake and slowly pour jello onto cake. It will look real wet, but pop it into the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.

It tastes so good. I use a strawberry filling and ice with vanilla buttercream. I have been wanting to try orance bc but am not to sure yet.

Hope that helps.

momma28 Posted 14 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #19 of 56

I made a creamsicle cake this last weekend. It was a scratch cake (yellow butter) and I simply added the zest of 2 tangelos to the batter and then made regular vanilla buttercream and added the zest of one tangelo and juiced the ones I had zested and had used the juice instead of any other liquid in the buttercream. The flavor was fantastic and tasted just like a creamsicle. I thought it would be a hint of flavor since I didnt use sherbert or anything like that but it was a rich orange flavor and the vanilla buttercream base gave that creamy vanille taste....it was fantastic. I made a lego cake with three different flavor cakes and got feedback that the creamsicle was "to die for"

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #20 of 56

Yeah girlfriends I did it!!!!! Between macsmom and the rest of your wonderful tips and hints I baked it perfectly! I followed the recommendation on the original WASC for the 10" pan....300 degrees for 30 minutes and then 325 for 30 minutes. I left it in the 325 oven for an extra 5 minutes just to be sure. I used a cake nail. Oh, and I should mention that I loaded in the food coloring so that it would maintain a yummy orange color since I noticed after making my disaster champagne cake (pink before baking and ugly flesh color afterwards) that much more food color would have to be put in. After I cooled them and sliced off the tops I took a sample....oh my goodness gracious...this was perfect tasting and the cake was moist yet airy (if that makes sense) and the color was perfect...perfect....perfect! I could hardly stop eating it and think I killed off the calories I burned at the gym this am lol! I've attached a picture of it so you can see how pretty it looks so far. I will ice it and serve it for my daughters HS graduation along with a chocolate cake of some sort...now that I am feeling more confident! Anyone have a fabulous chocolate cake using the WASC? Thank you dears! icon_biggrin.gifImage

batter_up Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #21 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

I think that you might want to consider lowering your oven temp to 325 degrees. I have noticed that most recipes on this site call for 325 so I have adjusted my cooking temp and do not seem to get brown tops. I agree though that they do seem to cook a little longer but well worth it. I love all of macsmom's and cake centrals recipes so far. They are great. People ask me for my recipes and I say they are secret lol...thanks cake central.




Yes, I lowered the temp like it says on the WASC recipe and VOILA! I can't wait to serve it. Everyone knows that desserts are my specialty but I usually don't do cakes except I have been known to buy the un-iced cake at a bakery I love and then do the icing myself.

Anyway...tehe tehe, "um yes, I'm so sorry I can't give you this wonder orange dreamsicle recipe, it is a highly guarded secret.....however, I would certainly be happy to share my pink champagne cake recipe with you. What, you say? The pink champagne cake came out awful? Why, I don't know what you possibly could've done wrong! lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #22 of 56

batter-up..

That is absolutely funny!!!!

But I know exactly what you are saying about the dreamscicle cake. I have wanted to make it for so long and have always chickened out because of all the coflicting comments. I am saving this thread and and now going to try it with all of the suggestions given by everyone.

I am so happy that your cake turned out and I hope that I have the same success!

Peridot Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #23 of 56

batter-up

I have a question - I forgot to add to my other post. How did the filling and the outside frosting come out? You gave us the recipes earlier in the thread. They sound delicious and I was wondering how you liked them.

Does the one that you used on the outside crust - can you use the Viva method on it?

samiam22 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #24 of 56

batter-up,
Yeah.. your cake looks terrific!! I am so happy for you. Your comment/reply to my earlier comment was hysterical! too funny.
I have not made the orange dreamsicle yet and now I can hardly wait. Too bad I am in the middle of a cake order for tomorrow..lemon WSC with lemon curd filling.
I would like to know if your icing will crust as well.
samiam

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #25 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

batter-up

I have a question - I forgot to add to my other post. How did the filling and the outside frosting come out? You gave us the recipes earlier in the thread. They sound delicious and I was wondering how you liked them.

Does the one that you used on the outside crust - can you use the Viva method on it?




I will have to let you know on that. The graduation is on Sunday so I can tellyou after that. I don't know if it crusts or not. I haven't ever made it before so this whole thing is just one great big experiment. Sorry, but I don't know what the Viva method is? I am new to all of this cake-speak!

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #26 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam22

batter-up,
Yeah.. your cake looks terrific!! I am so happy for you. Your comment/reply to my earlier comment was hysterical! too funny.
I have not made the orange dreamsicle yet and now I can hardly wait. Too bad I am in the middle of a cake order for tomorrow..lemon WSC with lemon curd filling.
I would like to know if your icing will crust as well.
samiam




Thank you so much! I am so happy with it. I will get back to you all on the icing question. When you say "crust" you mean that it sort of hardens up like stale bread....I know yucky sounding analogy but you get the picture? Then it makes it easier to put the pretty layer on, correct?

Well, like I said I will get back to you about the icing after Sunday. I am now off to search for the second cake I will be serving... the PERFECT chocolate cake! I may try the WASC Amazing Chocolate Cake.......

bakermommy4 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:05am
post #27 of 56

Batterup, I just used the chocolate wasc recipe for a mothers day cake this past weekend. It's macsmom's recipe and all I can say is that she saved mothers day with this absolutely perfect recipe. It's moist and xtra delicious! I don't know how to post links so here is the recipe

2 dk chocolate cake mixes (I used Devils Food)
2 c cake flour
2 1/4 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes (I used Devils Food pudding)
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs (I used whole)
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielson Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract. (I used 1 tablesp of each)

Now as for the Nielson Massey's chocolate extract...I didn't use that at all, I don't know where I can buy that so I totally left it out and believe me, the cake was nowhere near lacking in chocolate flavor without it. This is hands down the best chocolate cake I've EVER had.

batter_up Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakermommy4

Batterup, I just used the chocolate wasc recipe for a mothers day cake this past weekend. It's macsmom's recipe and all I can say is that she saved mothers day with this absolutely perfect recipe. It's moist and xtra delicious! I don't know how to post links so here is the recipe

2 dk chocolate cake mixes (I used Devils Food)
2 c cake flour
2 1/4 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 pkg chocolate fudge pudding mixes (I used Devils Food pudding)
8 egg whites or 6 whole eggs (I used whole)
2 c sour cream
2 c coffee
1 c chocolate milk
1/3 c oil
2 t Nielson Massey's chocolate extract
2 t vanilla or butter extract. (I used 1 tablesp of each)

Now as for the Nielson Massey's chocolate extract...I didn't use that at all, I don't know where I can buy that so I totally left it out and believe me, the cake was nowhere near lacking in chocolate flavor without it. This is hands down the best chocolate cake I've EVER had.




YUM! It sounds really good! Which cake mix did you use and did it have pudding in the mix? On my orange cake I used the BC white with pudding in the mix. Just wondered if that makes a difference when you are going to be adding additional pudding.
Also, for the two cups coffee, was that hot or cold, instant or something like Starbucks? Oooooh I have a Bourbon Pecan coffee that is out of this world....now you've got me thinking!

Lisaa1996 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #29 of 56

Yum....I made that same chocolate cake yesterday! I used vanilla yogurt instead of sourcream because I didn't feel like running back to the store icon_smile.gif. I also skipped the chocolate extract and it was fine. I used BC Devil's Food cake mix w/o pudding in it and 2 cups of room temp. coffee. The pudding I used were chocolate instant.
I am using this cake for a belated Mother's Day cake for my mom!

bakermommy4 Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaa1996

I used BC Devil's Food cake mix w/o pudding in it and 2 cups of room temp. coffee.




Me too...BC Devils food w/o pudding and room temp. coffee. My coffee was basic Folgers, but Bourbon Pecan...mmmmm, go for it and do tell how it all comes out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%