Red Velvet Cake Frosting Recipe Without Cream Cheese

Baking By GrandmaG Updated 14 May 2009 , 10:04pm by yamber82

GrandmaG Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 8

Anyone have any suggestions for a frosting to put on a red velvet cake? I always use a cream cheese frosting but the person I'm making this for doesn't like the cream cheese.

7 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 8

I think 7-minute frosting is the "real" red velvet frosting...I just saw a recipe yesterday on Martha Stewart's site and I would additionally look on allrecipes dot com.

Eme Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 8

I had someone ask for one frosted in white chocolate BC/fondant...

Suzycakes Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 8

What I consider to be the 'real' icing for red velvet cake is a cooked white icing. The recipe is listed in the recipe section several times. You basically cook milk and plain flour together in a saucepan until thick, let cool, then in a mixing bowl blend butter, shortening, white sugar and vanilla, then add in the cooled cooked mixture.

This recipe also makes a great 'filling' for chocolate cakes too!

kyoung24 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:54pm
post #5 of 8

the icing recipe on here in the recipe section called "Mary Kay Icing" is what my grandmother always used. It's delicious!

indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 8

Plain white BC or plain 'ole chocolate.

GrandmaG Posted 13 May 2009 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks gals! A lot of good selections! thumbs_up.gif

yamber82 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

the last time i did a red velvet i used the no cook fudge frosting recipe fromt he bhg cookbook and everyone looooved it!!!! i have since used it on chocolate cake several times. it keeps the cake really super moist and i have had rave reviews over it. i also just recently made red velvet cake truffles with bailey's irish cream and whipping cream and they were also absolutely amazing

Quote by @%username% on %date%