Will Somebody Please Notice Me?

Decorating By izzy1953 Updated 18 May 2009 , 2:58am by Deb_

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 9

I am asking for some advice on the color of this guitar that I hopefully am going to duplicate next weekend. My CC friend, xstitcher has given me so many helpful links and templates and now I am asking for advice on the color. Do you who know so much more than me (and there are so many of you) think that I can use Wilton color mist red and orange and get close to this color. Hopefully the picture is attached! Advice please!
LL

8 replies
texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 9

I would think that you would need a brown layer 1st and then add the red or orange or maybe both. The red and orange would be too bright together I think.

Definitely experiment with the layering of the colors to get the look you are trying to achieve.

Hopefully someone else might have some more specific ideas.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 9

I would use orange fondant as a base and then paint the whole thing with thinned down brown, let that dry and paint a slightly darker brown leaving the middle circle, then darker brown around the edge. To make it darker, you just add less vodka when you're thinning down the gel color.

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 13 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I would use orange fondant as a base and then paint the whole thing with thinned down brown, let that dry and paint a slightly darker brown leaving the middle circle, then darker brown around the edge. To make it darker, you just add less vodka when you're thinning down the gel color.

OOOHHH! thank you Texas Rose.....great idea! now just drive to georgia and help me! what if i bit off more than if can chew?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 9

I have tried unsuccessfully to paint a second time on fondant peices. The second coat pulled the first coat and left light and dark streaks. Ok for a wood look but not for something smooth. One coat does nicely though. I would practice this right away to see what works best for you. Roll out some fondant or gumpaste to dry and give it a whirl.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 14 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 9

You wouldn't want the layers to dry first would you? If they dried out, you wouldn't be able to blend the layers together.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 17 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #7 of 9

I would make a piece of light orange gumpaste and let it dry COMPLETLELY then sponge on some thinned down orange colr on it and again let it dry then ad a red layer to the outer portion and let it dry then again add a brown to the very outer edges. I know it sounds liek alot of time but I learned from trial and error that if you do not let the colr dry completely you will have the top layer of the gum paste goop up and dry looking like you crackle painted it. The spongeing will allow you to fade to the next shade.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #8 of 9

I'd do it in buttercream. Yellow around the middle, followed by orange, then red on the edges. I'd run a spatula over blending the colors.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 9

If you have an airbrush that would give you the most authentic look.

Good luck
Deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%