Slowly And Surely Going Insane Over Bow

Decorating By Malakin Updated 12 May 2009 , 10:27pm by tonedna

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone please give any suggestions they may have in order to duplicate the laying of the bow on this cake? I have to travel one hour with the cake seperated and then assemble at the site so I can't lay the bows on the cake ahead of time to shape them. I have cake dummies but for some reason, I'm just not quite getting the beginning shape. I have watched some youtube videos of tonedna1 and sugarshack's but it's just not sinking in. I have mental cake block. Help!
LL

8 replies
Malakin Posted 12 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 9
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

I would take the fondant cut it to a width bigger than you need it, and overlap almost like you would if it was a swag, then put it in between a layer of plastic wrap and roll it up. When you get the the venue and set up your cake, just unroll and unwrap the fondant ribbon and place on the cake. To get your bows to set right on the cake, make them ahead of time and let them dry on a cake dummy the exact way they will be the cake, that way all you have to do is place it on there. I hope this helps. I have done a cake similiar to that one and that is how I did it. Make sure you post pics when you get it done. Good Luck!

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 9

what part of the shape are you having trouble with? The pleating? or the orientation of the loops? It's a hard picture to copy from...at least I think it is icon_confused.gif

Malakin Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 9

Not really the pleating....and yep, the picture doesn't help at all. It more of a problem of how to get the bow to look more elongated. Draping it over a dowel, or rod, or using paper towels or wax paper just isn't working for me.

cakeinthebox4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeinthebox4U Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 9

I once used some scrapbooking paper looped and formed the bow on that with paper towel inside the paper "loop" to hold the shape. Since it's thicker then normal paper it was able to support the weight of the fondant long enough to keep the shape I needed. Mind you with paper towel in the loop regular paper might work too. Don't know how helpful that is but Good Luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 9

Some people use cotton. This loop is a big one. You could even use the insode carboard of a paper roll and flatten it a little to help with the shape.
But quite honestly, looking at the shape of this bow, tells me it was not dried ahead of time. It looks like is been put freshly done on the cake and then added some support to mantain the loops open..
Edna

Malakin Posted 12 May 2009 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks all. I wish I could make bows like you guys, especially you Edna. I am headed to now try to use paper or cardstock to form a longer loop and try that. If it works out, I'll post pics.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 9

It just takes practice, is like learning to write..doesnt take one day. Keep practicing..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%