Aw, Family Don't You Just Love Them!

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 12 May 2009 , 3:35pm by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #1 of 10

Yeah, my cousin TOLD me yesterday "Newsflash, you're gonna help with my quinceanera and be the 'sponsor' for my cake."

She didn't ask me - she told me. I told her I don't even know if I'm going to Mexico (which is where she is having it & not a big deal, my family goes back home every Dec.), so we'll see.

I knew they were starting to plan it and was sure I was on their list of 'sponsors' but she just straight up TOLD me I was helping. thumbsdown.gif

Since it's family I'll give her some $$ for it, but no way am I paying for the whole thing - and she better not expect a gift either, cause she won't be getting it! After paying my $$, I'll just be showing up and looking pretty - hopefully my Mexico neighbor will still be single icon_twisted.gif (He's pretty hot! icon_lol.gif )

9 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:20am
post #2 of 10

Yeah...sounds very familiar!!! lol I'm Mexican too and somehow quinceaneras are the worst. They don't ask you to help out, they just tell you what you pitching in with lol. Good luck! What part of Mexico are you? I'm from Sonora.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:22am
post #3 of 10

Just say NO!! Aren't you busy that weekend?!!

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 10

Is she wanting you to make the cake & pay some $ or just one or the other? Family or not that is just rude. My 2 daughters had taken to saying Mom you need to get me this .. or make that for me .. etc.. they learned really quickly that if they don't ask me nicely, It does NOT happen, period.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:24am
post #5 of 10

My daughter is having a quince next year & she will be asking politely for sponsors. Things have seemed to change a lot when I was 15!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #6 of 10

ah, nothing quiet says family like give me free cake, does it? I've even had some family tell me, oh I couldn't afford a nice store cake so you can bring one of yours. I have not ever had the opportunity to make a qunice cake, but have admired the pretty desgins for years.

ccr03 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 10

I figured some of you would get a kick out of it! icon_lol.gif

Nah, but I told me sister - they think that just because I make cakes I'm supposed to pay for hers too? That's funny in itself. No way could they honestly believe that I would MAKE a cake down there while I'm on VACATION!

I did give my sisters a heads up as I know they're next!

mariela, we're from Guanjuato (woo-hoo!). Have you ever been? I've never been to Sinaloa.

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 10

ccr03- No, I've never been to Guanajuato! HOpefully one day I can get to travel all around Mexico. Last year I visited my best friend in Mexico City where she is completing her University, she left AZ and went to Mexico city about 4 years ago. I'm from Sonora...not sinaloa, I've been to Sinaloa's airport that is all lol. Sonora is right next to the border with AZ, so I basically just cross the border and have been living here since I was 7. I'm so glad I have my dear Sonora close to me... (about 5-10 mins icon_biggrin.gif).

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 10

Good for you! Where are her manners? I don't care if this event is all about her, that's no way to speak to an adult.

You have a great time!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ccr03 Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 10

mariela - lol! I need to read better next time! Man, you are so lucky to be so close. We drive down so it's a good 2-day trip. But we've been doing it since we were kids, so I love it!

Yeah, it's funny if it were one of my other cousins - she wouldn't even have to ask! I got her covered. But she has never been the friendliest cousin - she takes after her dad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%