Help! My First "don't Know Where To Start" Moment!

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 12 May 2009 , 1:46am by LaBellaFlor

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 10

Alright I need to do a 3D Pablo cake (the blue penguin from the Backyardigans) and I'm not really sure where to start. I have a pretty good imagination but I just don't know. I keep getting different ideas on how to do it, then keep doubting that it will work. Its for a first Birthday and the mom wants it a standing up cake. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!! Oh yeah, and she doesn't want fondant!
Thanks a million,
Ashley

Here's a picture of him:
LL

9 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:19am
post #2 of 10

bump

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #3 of 10

Stand up? Meaning he can't be sitting down?

I'd use the Wilton 3d bear pan and go from there.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #4 of 10

Maybe you can make him sitting. You can use 6 or 8" rounds for body and carve them to shape his midsection for the head you can use the ball pan/small? depends on how big you want him. Make arms out of gumpaste or rc covered in fondant, the legs too. I think it will be much easier if you do him sitting. This is what I would do. I bet there are others who have great ideas on cc.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #5 of 10

Check this out:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1154916

She describes how she did it...I'm sure you could pm for more info. You could ice it with BC, but I would think you'd have to use fondant, modelling chocolate, RKT, etc. for the beak and arms. Good luck!

Bec

jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 10

ive seen him done with a ball pan for his head and it looked like the wilton wonder mold for the body. not sure about the arms and legs, i would say pillars for the legs covered in icing

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #7 of 10

Get Roland Winbecklers book on Cake Sculpture. He shows how to make an stand to support your cake. There is a lot of information in the book. I would use RKT for the arms, I think.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone....I don't feel quite so lost now! I need for the 21st so I'll definatly let you know!
Oh one other thing....for the icing do you think it would be easier to try to smooth the BC or to just do all the little stars.
On a personal level I don't like the look of the stars but I know lots of people to and it is pretty classic,,,,WWYD???

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #9 of 10

I think it's going to be a big job and I would use stars for this one. Smoothing might be really difficult.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #10 of 10

I'm with you on the smooth. I think it'll look better and though it may seem harder to smooth, how long will it take to pipe all them stars. I think it'll be less time consuming the long run to smooth. I know they got some great tutorials on smoothing on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%