Tips On Covering Styrofoam With Fondant??

Business By CakeDiane Updated 13 May 2009 , 7:59pm by cakedout

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 11 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 6

Anybody have any tips on covering styrofoam with fondant so that it doesn't look bumpy from the texture of the styrofoam? Do I need to cover it with icing first? Make the fondant thicker?

TIA

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 6

Is it an odd shape you're trying to cover...or just the regular square/round, etc? Did you cut the styrofoam yourself and that's why it's rougher than usual, if it's purchased it should be good to go? icon_confused.gif

I'd sand any bumpiness/rough parts/seams/edges on the styrofoam with #400 grade sandpaper, then apply a thin coating of either piping gel or apple/apricot jelly, then cover it with fondant that's about 1/4" thick. Don't use your hands to try to smooth it, just your paddles after it's stuck on there well. thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiane Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 6

In this instance, I'm covering a ready-made styrofoam ball, so I'll try the piping gel, the 1/4" thick fondant and fondant smoother...thanks for the tips!

Sasha_Sweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sasha_Sweetie Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

We learnt to always put 2 layers of fondant on. Put the first layer on thinly and let it set. The second layer will stick much easier and be much smoother as well.

CakeDiane Posted 12 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 6

Oooh that's a good tip--makes perfect sense. Thanks!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 13 May 2009 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 6

If you don't have piping gel....use solid shortening! icon_smile.gif Oh- and I use my hands-with gloves icon_lol.gif -to smear it over the styro.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%