Jaffa Cake Question! - Like A Mcvities Jaffa Cake - Uk??

Baking By anabelz01 Updated 17 May 2009 , 7:41pm by brincess_b

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:52am
post #1 of 5

Hey all, Just a quick question really!
I really wanna make a 'Jaffa Cake' Cake - sponge, orange filling and chocolate ganache - my question is - what is the orange jelly like filling in a McVities jaffa cake? I love the mini rolls they do and want to make something simular!

Is it just a marmalade? or something else? Can you make it from scratch?

I hope someone out there knows!

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

jaffa cakes is more like a jelly. not sure if its ifferent in the mini rolls though. ive seen some places offer this kind of flavour, and use marmalade, or orange bc.
oh it would be interesting to try a disc of jelly in a cake. not sure how well it would work, in terms of not slipping, but it works in jaffa cakes, so who knows?
xx

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 13 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5

Mmmmmmm jaffa cakes........

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 5

Love Jaffa cakes! what a great idea for a cake! Maybe this will work? http://www.mydish.co.uk/recipe/535/lornas_jaffa_cake_pudding

The recipe says one packet of jelly cut in cubes - our Jell-o is powdered and and you make it with water. Is jelly in the UK premade? Would I make Jell-o first and then cube it? Or am I missing something?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 5

uk jelly comes in like concentrated packets of jelly, we need to melt it down with hot water (orange juice in that recipe), then it makes proper jelly. so at a guess, id say make up your jello powder with the hot orange instead of the water.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%