How To Handle Fondant Cutouts? (Had A Pain Using Them)

Decorating By bourbs Updated 11 May 2009 , 3:07pm by bourbs

bourbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #1 of 12

Hey, This may be a dumb question, but I made a fondant covered cake and put some little fondant cutout hearts on it.

My question is, I had a heck of a time getting these little hearts out of the cutter and it was a real pain getting them on the cake without squishing them, or getting marks on them or dropping them, lol

Is there a trick to this that would help me in my future cakes?

Tks and bunch, Marie

11 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 12

Dust your cutter with cornstarch before you use it. If the fondant shape gets stuck, use a ball tool or the rounded end of a paintbrush to gently press it out of the cutter.

Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #3 of 12

After you roll let the fondant sit a bit before you cut, then if they are stiff enough not to lose there shape, pick them up and place them. Or let them sit a little longer then pick them up.

idjitmom Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #4 of 12

When I've had soft fondant, I've sometimes mixed a small amount of gumpaste w/ the fondant, & then let the cutout sit for a little bit before I try to handle it - or even roll it out & let the whole thing sit. I just use a tiny bit so it doesn't dry hard, it just stiffens it up enough to be managable.

tonedna Posted 11 May 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 12

You can add some tylose to the fondant so is easier to work with when doing cut outs
Edna icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:19am
post #6 of 12

After doing the things others suggested, I use an artist's pallet knife to pick up fondant cut outs, makes a world of difference.

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 12

I actually grease the cutter first. It allows the cuts to be sharper - then use a pallet knife to lift them - also when working with pieces of fondant - I use a 50/50 blend of cornstarch/powdered sugar to roll them out. (if I am rolling to cover a cake I do not use the 50/50 - I use shortning - helps keep it supple and NO dry powdery spots on the cake)

BE CAREFUL greasing the cutter - there are sometimes sharp edges that will cut your finger.....one way to do it without using your finger is to take a spot on your mat, rub some shortning on it, then take the cutter and just wiggle in back and forth in that shortning.

Bluehue Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 12

I roll out my fonant/regal ice to desired thickness -
Give a very very very light spray of *bake easy*
Let sit for 3 minutes or so -
Cut out shapes -
Let sit for another 2 minutes -
Using pallette knife or any large knife with a smooth sharp blade, slide under edge of first shape - lift up and with a dab of sugar glue attatch to cake.

Actually - if i am cutting out say 20 shapes at a time - by the time i have cut out the last shape - the first one is ready to be lifted up and adhered to cake.
I never use corn starch/corn flour as i find it can dry the regal ice/fondant to much - it also depends of where you live and the weather.

I use this method whether using plastic plunger cutters or metal cutters...
as like Loucinda said - i find it gives a *sharper edge*.

Hope this helps you bourbs. icon_smile.gif
Bluehue.

Bluehue Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 12

I roll out my fonant/regal ice to desired thickness -
Give a very very very light spray of *bake easy*
Let sit for 3 minutes or so -
Cut out shapes -
Let sit for another 2 minutes -
Using pallette knife or any large knife with a smooth sharp blade, slide under edge of first shape - lift up and with a dab of sugar glue attatch to cake.

Actually - if i am cutting out say 20 shapes at a time - by the time i have cut out the last shape - the first one is ready to be lifted up and adhered to cake.
I never use corn starch/corn flour as i find it can dry the regal ice/fondant to much - it also depends of where you live and the weather.

I use this method whether using plastic plunger cutters or metal cutters...
as like Loucinda said - i find it gives a *sharper edge*.

Hope this helps you bourbs. icon_smile.gif
Bluehue.

sweetjan Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 12

Great advice. Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

Evoir Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 12

One last hint - place in refrigerator for a few minutes before pushing out of cutter. I also like to run my finger over the cutting edge to give a clean edge to the findant piece, and use a product called 'slip' to grease the cutting edge if its a intricate one icon_smile.gif

bourbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 12

OMG, such common sense tips! Thank you so much for helping me!
I'm just now starting to work with fondant, so I'm a bit clueless so thank you for bearing with my questions and for taking the time out of your day to teach me the right way.

Blessings, Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%