Making A Dinosaur Cake, Question About Doing The Neck...

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 14 May 2009 , 3:26pm by lazlo

disneynutbsv Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 9

I was looking at some pictures in the gallery to get some inspiration and really like the long neck dinosaurs. So, I guess my question is...any suggestions on how to keep the neck up so it won't be too heavy?? The one that I want to do is similar to Debbie Brown's dinosaur (but I don't have her book)...can anyone help? I will be using fondant on it. I need to have it done by Wednesday...

P.S. I haven't been here in months, I took a hiatus from cake decorating because I went back to school....trying to get back into the swing of things...

Thanks!!!

8 replies
Pat45 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 9

Debbie Brown says to roll the fondant into a sausage for the neck and push a plastic dowel through the center. Push the dowelling and neck down into the body, secure with sugar glue, then press on head.

disneynutbsv Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much!!! I so appreciate it!

Peridot Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 9

disneynutbsv

Please post the pic of your dinosaur when done and tell us how you did it. That is one cake that I have wanted to do and have stayed away because of the neck.

Thanks.

disneynutbsv Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9

will do!

lazlo Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 9

would someone please remind me what is sugar glue? thanks

disneynutbsv Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 9

So, I did the cake and am I out of practice!! I couldn't find my sports ball pan, so I used the doll pan. I rolled out the neck with fondant, made the head, put the dowel through, then put a party hat on top of his head. I put orange spots on his back (he was green). He was sitting on top of a 10" cake that I used the grass tip to make it look like he was sitting in grass.

It came out...just ok to me, I need to get back in the swing of things and do this stuff again!

disneynutbsv Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 9

to me, he kind of looks like a turtle...

lazlo Posted 14 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

turtle, dinosaur, either way they are still in the same family tree. it looks good to me. job well done!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%