Springfield Mo (Green County) Home Bakeries?

Business By fsinger84 Updated 13 May 2009 , 12:07am by fsinger84

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:36am
post #1 of 3

Does anyone have information on where to start? I am wanting to start a home bakery but have no idea where to find out the health codes for green county, Springfield specifically. I was also wondering what other paperwork is required to get myself all legit? I was thinking a business license?

Thanks for any help you can give!

2 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 3

It is illegal to sell cakes baked from your home kitchen in Green County. Im in Republic, used to live in Springfield. Ive spoken with the Health Department many times about this. You must have a commercial kitchen that is separate from your home, so you cant convert your home kitchen. Theyve got all kinds of requirements, special equipment you have to have etc. Its expensive.

To start you can call the Health Department and they can tell you what you need to know. I tried to look at their website but it was so hard to navigate I just gave in and called. I'd love to have the money needed to build a commercial kitchen. You'll also need to look into zoning. One of the inspectors I spoke with said I'd need to have the area my kitchen was built on zoned for commercial use. I found that I couldn't do that in the area where I lived in Springfield. I've not looked into doing it where I live now.

I wish you the best of luck!!!

fsinger84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fsinger84 Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:07am
post #3 of 3

Ugh, this is total suckage.

I saw some of your photos (nice!). Were you able to find a way to sell in Springfield? Please keep me updated on Republic rules. Have you ever looked into renting out a commercial kitchen in the area?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%