Help!

Decorating By ChiweenieChic Updated 10 May 2009 , 12:52am by Deb_

ChiweenieChic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiweenieChic Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to create some 3D bunnies and teddy bears for a baby shower cake I am doing, and I have never done them before. I am having trouble with the bodies basically slowly melting down. In other words the body starts off in the right shape but as time progresses the body is shorter and wider. What am I doing wrong? Should I add more fondant to my gumpaste / fondant mix. I made the gumpaste from the canister and it was really wet at first so I added a lot of powder sugar to firm it up.

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me here so far. I am still really new at this.

Thanks

2 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 3

I have to assume that the powdered sugar you added is the culprit. Did you possibly add too much water when you made your gp? I always end up with powder left over after I finish mixing. I'll be someone who "knows" will respond soon. Good luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #3 of 3

Are you allowing the *bodies* to firm up and dry before you place the heads on? If you place the head on the body while it's still soft and the head is heavy this will cause the body to compress. I try to make all of my pieces one day, let them harden a bit for a few hours and then put them together either later that day or the next day.

I use 50/50 GP/fondant to sculpt. If your mixture is too wet then yes, you need more PS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%