Carrot Cake Sinking In The Middle

Decorating By sjmoral Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 3:46am by Stitches

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 13

I must be consistent with what I'm doing because my carrot cake is always sinking in the middle. My problem is, it didn't sink before... I've always made it the same way and I don't know why this is happening now!
I use the Carrot Cake recipe III but now I can't find it here or on Epicurious...
Thanks for nay advice.
Sheila

12 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 13

Have you checked your oven temp with an oven thermometer? Also check the expiration date on your baking soda/powder.

It could be a number of things, but my first thought is that the cake is not being baked long enough. I'd lower the oven temp 25 degrees and bake it for a little longer.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #3 of 13

i bake my carrot cakes at 325 degress F. and at this , tempt,. it takes a little longer.. when it is just about time to be done.. i keep check every couple minutes or so. and i watch the middle.. when i do think it is done.. i take it out and use the small skewer to check in the middle.. if not just like i want it.. i put it back a lilttle longer.. watching it carefully.. i usually have very good luck with my carrot cake layers.. hth

sjmoral Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:50am
post #4 of 13

I don't own an oven thermometer but I should get one... The weird thing is the cake sinks while it's still in the oven (I can actiually see it happening with the oven light on). I will lower the temp next time and see what happens.
Thanks!
Sheila

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 13

Hmmmmmm...........maybe you could post the ingredients, it could be the recipe if it happens every time and while in the oven. The batter could be too heavy (wet) for the amount of leavening called for.

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 13

I agree with dkelly. It could be too wet, just a guess....

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 13

Sheila, is this the one you use?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carrot-Cake-III/Detail.aspx

I have used this recipe numerous times and it always comes out great. I love carrot cake, so this one is perfect to me.

sjmoral Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 13

YES! This is the recipe I use. First time was perfect! I've tried doubling and the same happens... Any help is appreciated, all my friends are fans of this cake. Nobody knows it sinks but it bothers me!

CraftyKaren04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyKaren04 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 13

I used the same recipe and the same thing happened to me!  This is the first time I used this recipe and I used (2) 8" round pans.  I figured it would take less time to bake than a 9" by 13", so I put it in for 30 mins and checked on it through the window often.  As it baked it rose nicely, but near the last 10 minutes it started in sink in the middle.  I did not open the oven at all while it was baking.  I tested them with a toothpick and it came out clean so I took them out of the oven.

The next time I use this recipe I will try baking it at a lower temp, but could there be something else that I did wrong?

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 13

You mention that it didn't sink before...by chance have you recently moved to a different altitude?

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 12:18am
post #11 of 13

Try reducing the baking soda by a smidge, to much can cause them to fall.

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 12:54am
post #12 of 13

AIs it possible you overmixed?

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:46am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker 

Try reducing the baking soda by a smidge, to much can cause them to fall.

That's often the problem with sinking middles........too much leavening and that recipe has a lot of leavening for 2 cups of flour.

Over the past year I've experienced the same thing with the carrot cake recipe I use (been using for 10 years). The cure for me was mixing it longer. I was under mixing it, like it was a muffin batter trying to avoid gluten building. Once I let it run longer in the mixer the problem corrected itself....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%