Fondant Not Holding Shape

Decorating By Mkanz Updated 9 May 2009 , 4:51am by 2girliesmama

Mkanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mkanz Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 11

I made MMF for the first time. It seemed to do okay until I tried to pick it up...then it lost its shape and started to tear....I'm not sure what I did wrong or how to fix it. Can anyone help?

10 replies
luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 11

When you say tried to pick it up - how did you try? Did you have it rolled over your rolling pin or on a vinyl sheet or picked it up with your fingers? How big of a roll out was it?

2girliesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2girliesmama Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 11

If you find it too soft or sticky try adding a bit more powdered sugar. If it is too dry (shows signs of tearing or cracking when placed) Try kneading in a bit of shortening like crisco. Good luck!

Mkanz Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #4 of 11

I actually tried both....picking it up with my fingers and on the rolling pin. I did add more powdered sugar and also Crisco.....I wonder if I just need to keep adding powdered sugar and keep kneading....

2girliesmama Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 11

If you don't mind me asking what was your recipe? How much sugar have you added so far? It also helps to let it sit for 24 hours wrapped and refridgerated after making. Have you tried chilling it? I make MMF all the time, so get back to me. We'll get this solved thumbs_up.gif

Mkanz Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 11

I used mini marshmallows, 2 tbsp water, 2 tsp vanilla and 2 lbs powdered sugar. The recipe I have said not to use all the sugar, so I didn't. Now it seems I've added more than the 2 lbs it called for. At what point have I added too much powdered sugar?

2girliesmama Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 11

I really don't think you can add too much. As long as you come out with the consistance you'd like. You are trying to cover a cake right? If yes try rolling a bit thicker 1/4" at least. Your feel should be like that of playdough, no softer. I live in Mississippi and I find I have to use quite a bit of sugar due to the heat and humidity. Also here is a great link http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/ButtercreamQA.htm. It sounds to me like you are too soft keep adding sugar and chilling. Let me know how this goes.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 11

You've added too much when the fondant starts cracking and falling apart as you knead it--when it gets crumbly. You can fix it, also, by adding a little more water--I usually just dip my fingers in a cup of water and knead some more. But before you assume that's the problem, try wrapping it up in plastic wrap and sticking it in the fridge for fifteen minutes and see if that helps. I invariably have that problem when I go to work with MMF, because my kitchen gets very warm, and I over-work the fondant.

2girliesmama Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #9 of 11

Oh! yeah if it is crumbling or crackling or looking like elephant skin you've added too much sugar, but either way it can be fixed. I'd recommend chilling before you try anything else. Then go with my other ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

Mkanz Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #10 of 11

I made it yesterday, wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in a Tupperware bowl overnight. But, it was really humid today....I closed the windows and turned on the AC thinking maybe that was the reason.

I have added sugar and water and Crisco and kneaded.....I will put it in the refrigerator and try again tomorrow.

Thank you for all of your help.

2girliesmama Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:51am
post #11 of 11

don't put it in tupperware. Coat it with a little crisco and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Then put it in a zip lock. this will seal out any extra moisture.
Got my fingers crossed for ya icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%