Sam's Buttercream

Decorating By abra526 Updated 11 May 2009 , 12:01am by blondeez

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 10

I have heard a few people on this site really like using Sam's buttercream. I found out that my Sam's sells it, and it is waaaay cheaper than the tubs of BC that I was getting from my local cake supply. I was just wondering if it crusts?? TIA

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 10

Yep, it does

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 10

It didn't crust for me, so I ended up using it on cupcakes instead.
I do like a crusting buttercream much better

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 10

I recently used it on my cakes and i love it. crusts very well.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 10

Although, I just thought of something. Not to scare you off but, I work there and I help out in the bakery from time to time. Well, the other day I was icing some cakes and I got to about a third left in the icing bucket (it comes in 5 gallon containers) and I noticed that batch hadn't gotten properly mixed. There were ribbons of whatever they use as shortening in the icing. This stuff is supposed to be used straight out of the bucket. The reason I used the terms "the stuff they use for shortening" is because it did not look like shortening or butter at all. There's a reason why they call it "but 'r' creme". In fact the stuff looked like neosporin. Actually, more like carbolic salve. You know that stuff your grandpa used to use before they had neosporin? Yeah, it looked just like that stuff, I expected it to have that strong sour smell to it that carbolic salve has. Since then, I've kinda been turned off of Sam's Club icing.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanny4

It didn't crust for me, so I ended up using it on cupcakes instead.
I do like a crusting buttercream much better

are you sure you didn't get the "bettercream" by accident? that stuff doesn't crust. It's their whipped topping.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 10

Love it! I make my own bc, but when I have alot of big cakes I buy Sams and flavor it with my flavors. It crusts great and no little bubbles!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 10

I use the but-r-cream from Sam's when I do the kid's cake decorating birthday parties. And no, it does not always crusts for me. Some times it seems to soft/wet to even make roses. So I add powdered sugar to it to stiffen it up and make it crust. But not every time...sometimes it will be just right and crust.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

In fact the stuff looked like neosporin. Actually, more like carbolic salve. You know that stuff your grandpa used to use before they had neosporin? Yeah, it looked just like that stuff, I expected it to have that strong sour smell to it that carbolic salve has. Since then, I've kinda been turned off of Sam's Club icing.

That doesn't sound very appealing!!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:01am
post #10 of 10

I just bought my first bucket of it. A girl at work said it was good after you add your own flavoring to it. I have a few graduation cakes to do this week so I plan on trying it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%