Large Square Cake

Decorating By floral1210 Updated 11 May 2009 , 6:10pm by bakingatthebeach

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 12 inch square cake for my daughter's grad school graduation party. Is there anything I should know? I'd like to make it 2 layers by cutting the cake horizontally, but am afraid it will split when trying to separate them for filling and frosting. Any tips you can give me? icon_confused.gif

5 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 6

put a flat pan in between the layers before lifting it. That should avoid breakage.

Cucu1214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucu1214 Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 6

I did one last week, and used to recipes for the 12 inch, and all I can say is that it was too much batter, it took forever to cook in the middle, and when a turned it, it broke, so maybe try one recipe at a time that way you don't have to cut it.

Cakedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakedeb Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 6

Don't get too worried... A 12" cake isn't all that difficult to tort. You may want to put it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so to help firm up then use the flat sheet (like cricket suggested) I use a flat cookie sheet for this. ( That can be hard to find with only one upturned edge.) Have your fillings ready and you'll be amazed how well it went.....pretty soon you'll tackle bigger ones! I tort all my cakes whatever the size.
Also make a mark of icing against the side edge. That way you'll have the cake sitting back together as it was baked and flat.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much for the advice! I will try your suggestions. If the cake looks wonderful, I'll post a photo. In any event, I'll try to let you know how it turned out!!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 6

If you bake at 325 and place an flower nail upside down in the pan prior to putting the batter in, it will cook evenly. I usually set my timer for 45 min and then check it in 10 min increments after that because I know the minute I set the timer for an hour the cake will be burnticon_smile.gif. Also, after you freeze it a little and torte it, slide a cake board between the layers and it lifts right up, no breaking, then slide it off the cake board right on top after you fill. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%