Does This Make Sense?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 8 May 2009 , 3:02pm by bobhope

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 5

I've been working on getting my business started. Worked on some ads, my website and now the dreaded price list.
Does this make sense? My 6" cake would cost more per serving than the 10" or a two tiered 10"-6" would? It makes my head hurt. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

For explanation:
*Prices are NOT US$
*Servings chart used Wilton's
*Ignore FONDANT Column
*BASE PRICE is just for cake

Please tell me this is NOT normal. My head is hurting. I HATE MATH!

TIA!

4 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 5

I would think that you would need to determine your price per serving first and then set your base price.

To get Base Cost: ($/serving) x (#servings) = (base$)

To get BC Cost: ($/BCserving) x (#servings) = (BC$)
To get Fondant Cost: ($/Fserving) x (#servings) = (fondant$)

To get Total Cost for BC: (base$) + (BC$) + (labor$) = (totalBC$)
To get Total Cost for Fondant: (base$) + (Fondant$) + (labor$) = (totalFondant$)

Does this make sense to you? Is this what you were trying to accomplish?

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 5

Which Wilton chart are you using?

If you go by the Party Cake Baking Time and Batter Amounts a 6" round is 12 servings and a 10" round is 28 making it 40 servings not 50. So if you take your twotier cake price at $925 and divide that by 40 you get $23.125 as your cost per serving????? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

ps: I have to say, everytime I see your avatar pic, it makes me happy!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 5

cakes22, I used the wedding cake chart. 1x2x4 sizes of serving. and prices are NOT in US$ haha. it's another currency. icon_smile.gif

lees_luv, thanks for your post, made my head hurt some more (not your fault i just HATE numbers), but I will re-read it in a few minutes. Thanks icon_smile.gif

bobhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobhope Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 5

hi denise,

the same rational behind wholesale price comes out cheaper than when bought at a retail price applies to cakes, i guess..when i do my cake costing, i don't follow the price/slice formula as our cake clients here in the philippines are not conscious about it.as long as they want a cake, size really doesn't matter to them.. how i do it,i just add up my cake cost, filling, frosting, other decors/icing used, etc., labor plus 100% mark up.that's about it.. so far, biz has been good & my prices are pretty competitive w/ other cake shops..you just have to play w/ your pricing as this depends on your town, unlike in metro manila where they could go up to as high as 200-300% mark up...hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%