Are Your Cakes Made From Scratch? -Customer

Business By Creative_chika Updated 8 May 2009 , 3:52pm by ntertayneme

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #31 of 41

Why did you yank his leg off like that? That is just cruel. I'm on the verge of calling PETA.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:41pm
post #32 of 41

Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Why did you yank his leg off like that? That is just cruel. I'm on the verge of calling PETA.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:44pm
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Forget PETA, I'm calling PETCMB (People for the ethical treatment of cake mix bakers)!!

Seriously though, if a customer asks, I believe you should tell the truth. I do not, however, believe that you are better than me for making a scratch cake, or for using all fondant or all buttercream, and on and on and blah-diddy-blah-blah-blah.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #35 of 41

geeze people...if the customer asks if you used a mix and you do, then just say so. what's up with all these creative responses that some are coming up with to answer the question??? and lets not be silly, we all know what "scratch" means and that doesn't mean we have to mill our own flour. that's just grasping for straws.

why is it that people who used mixes (hey, i've used them too!) always try to avoid letting anyone know? if you're not embarrassed, then what gives? and i have no problem at *all* telling brides that i freeze *ALL* my cakes. makes them moister and the crumb tighter, imo. i won't sell one without being frozen first.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #36 of 41

Now look, he has lost another leg. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

K8 - I htink you are correct, it will always be a Hatfield McCoy kind of discussion (and I have many friends that are either Hatfields or McCoys that I treasure dearly!) icon_biggrin.gif

Yes!

From the customer's standpoint--It has nothing whatsoever to do with what actually went on making that cake. If they like it, it's scratch or mix depending on if they are a Hatfield or a McCoy. If it's awful, it's scratch or mix depending on if they are a Hatfield or a McCoy.

Guys, if you want to tell your customers how you bake that's your business. But you don't get to decide how everybody else conducts business.

I don't want to spend my time tutoring the masses out of their age old tightly held beliefs--I just wanna make great cake.

I can't imagine anyone being gobsmacked about why someone won't declare one way or the other. We all can't even agree--why divide the customer base????

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #38 of 41

If you are proud to use a mix, then admit it when a customer asks. Don't try and make it a secret or use fancy wording. It is food after all and we are all entitled to know what cake we are buying. I don't know about the states but in our country it is law for food to have a list of ingredients.

I do not think I am better than anyone because they use a mix and I bake from scratch. You just can't say they are the same because they are not.

As long as you give the customer honest information not secretive BS then everyone should be happy.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #39 of 41

There is only one leg left on the poor horse now. icon_cry.gificon_wink.gif

K8 - I appreciate the way you worded your last post - thank you!

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycaker

Simple syrups are part of professional baking.

Yes, and so are mixes!

Ok this is one heated thread.....

Let me tell you how hurt I was when as I walked pass one of my local bakeries and saw the delivery guy rolling in a HUGE bag of CAKE MIX. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Why was I hurt? Because at the "bakery" you get a cake to feed 35-40 people and they charge you (at least in my area-Bronx, NY) anywhere from 65-100 bucks. AND THE CAKE TASTE LIKE CRAP....PERIOD.

I have another one for ya, in Harlem, NY there is this bakery I won't name it just in case any staff are roaming CC but the cake is "good" mediocre "good". And the minute you drive up it has Duncan Hines written all over it, the smell permeates the entire block-( We got long blocks here!!) . MY DEAR SISTER one year didnt want me to make my nephew's cake because of all the hoopla surronding this bakery. And when my family bit into that cake. They were horrified. They spotted it for what it was.....DH mix. But people flock there and lay down 60 bucks for a cake for 25 people. HORRIBLE.

NO DISRESPECT to those who use a doctored mix. But a doctored mix IS NOT professional baking it is MASS PRODUCTION.

That does not mean it taste bad...shoo we eat TWINKIES AND DING DONGS dont we but...but in my opinion SCRATCH/HOMEMADE/ GOURMET (PROFESSIONAL) what ever you wanna call it is better to me.

Happy caking- no matter which way you do it!!!!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #41 of 41

I'm locking this thread as it seems everytime one begins on this topic, it gets heated and nothing constructive comes from them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%