How Long Do Cupcakes Last?

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 7 May 2009 , 8:41pm by lostincake

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone,

My in-law's are throwing me and my husand a post wedding open house reception in his hometown (we were married in MN and they live in NE). I really don't want a wal-mart cake, so I was thinking about making cupcakes and having a cupcake tree and possibly trying to recreate the top tier of our wedding cake for the top of the cupcake tree.

So what my question is...how far in advance can I make the cupcakes? My MIL was concerned it would take too much time to make them after we get there, so I was hoping to be able to make them before we leave and frost them in NE.

If I made the cupcakes using the WASC recipe (both white and chocolate) on Wednesday, and they were not eaten until Saturday evening...is that too long? I would be able to put them in air tight containers and put them in the refridgerator (not enough freezer space to freeze them though) and have them in a cooler on the way there.

Also, would it help the cupcakes stay moist if I filled them? If so, what would be the best filling that would keep from Wednesday to Saturday?

Thanks for all of your help! You guys are all the best!

Laura

3 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 4

You can freeze the cupcakes and that will keep them moist, then add a but of simple syrup before icing.

Melissa2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa2000 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 4

I wouldn't frig them because they will dry out... I think they would be ok... If there in a sealed container.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 4

I've read lots of posts here where people bake their cakes on Wednesday for a Saturday order without refrigerating (unless it has a perishable filling). It definitely wouldn't need to be frozen to keep until Saturday.

The only thing with cupcakes is that more area is exposed to air than a regular cake and so will dry out faster. Also with cake, you can put a quick crumb coat on to seal in the moisture. So for cupcakes, I would individually wrap each one in two layers of cling wrap and then store it all in an air tight container until you frost them.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%