Which Would You Use?

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 8 May 2009 , 3:18pm by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 9

I am finishing up a cake for this weekend and I need some opinions on what I should use for one of the final touches. I have a gum paste area rug that is sitting on a sheet cake which has been painted to look like a wood floor. There are dowels under it so I don't expect the rug to move (i allso have some bc under it just to be sure). ANYWAY, I need to add the fringe on the ends of the rug and cannot decide which product to use.
Would you use Royal, BC, Gum Paste (This would be really hard to do because of the size of the fringe needed). I am just afraid that if the cake flexes at all whatever I use will break or crack. Any thougths would be very helpfull. TIA
LL

8 replies
Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 9

I am no expert, but wanted to tell that the cake is beautiful. Just my idea. Can't you use bc and use grass tip to do the fringes. It should look neat.

Just my thought. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 9

my thoughts would be buttercream with the grass/hair tip. If that tip would make too much of a fringe, maybe some duct tape over some of the holes would help.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have to have the fringe? I think your cake is great and the rug is perfect without fringe. If you feel it necessary, I would probably do the fringe with RI, tip 1 or 2. JMHO, HTH

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 9

I would roll out a strip of gumpaste or fondant the same color of the rug, and use an exacto knife and cut almost to the edge of the strip to make the fringe. That would make it easier to lay on the cake/rug, and it would look great! HTH!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 9

Why don't you use tip 134 from Wilton? it makes five straight lines, take a look at the link bellow

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DD64-475A-BAC0-5FBA791BBD7A052B

lomikesa

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I will give the gum paste strip a try. I really do need the fringe because I was not carefull with the ends of the rug so it has some smudges and such on it (I knew I was going to cover some of it up). If the strip does not work out I guess RI would be my best bet. Thanks again for the comments and help. Hey, anyone know why when I make a post it does not go into my watched topics? I had no emails telling me I had responses so I was suprised to find so many. icon_confused.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBoos-8599_

Hey, anyone know why when I make a post it does not go into my watched topics? I had no emails telling me I had responses so I was suprised to find so many. icon_confused.gif

I don't know why ... and it doesn't make any sense to me ... but if you start a new topic, you aren't automatically watching it. You have to post the original post, then go back into it and click on the "Watch this topic for replies." Like I said, this doesn't make any sense. If you reply to an existing thread, you are automatically watching it.

hth ...

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 9

OK, I used the gum paste, rolled out a strip, cut it to width then used the wilton cutter and cut the fringe part and the stitch wheel to run across the top. I think it worked out pretty good. I will post a pinished picture once I have it on the cake stand I made for it. Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%