How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 9:52pm
post #781 of 887

Wow. Just finished reading all 50+ pages and am excited about trying this technique. I'm new to cake decorating and am enjoying it so far. Have found it takes lots or practice, but am looking for new things to try as well. I will be ordering the books and sheets for this technique as it is soooo beautiful! All the hints and tips that you have printed here are fantastic and will be a definite help. Can't believe this posting has lasted so long, but after reading, can see why. Thanks to all for all the information. I look forward to giving this a try. All the ribbons, butterfiles and flowers that I've seen on here so far have been absolutely beautiful. Thanks to both Cindys for keeping it going and for all your helpful hints. You can be proud of a job well done! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2010 , 12:53am
post #782 of 887

That was very kind of you! We owe Jackie and Heath a big thank you for having the site here for all of us to be able to share! icon_smile.gif

That being said, I have been helping a lady from Italy with the technique, and I got this pm from her this evening. I thought I would share it for those who may live in a county that you cannot get the powdered gelatin. She found an alternative! Here is her pm:
Hi Loucinda

thanks a lot for your patience ^_^
Just this morning/afternoon i've tried some "my own recipes" cause here in Italy powdered gelatin in very difficult to find, so after i've studying a little...i've discovered my personal sugar bow recipe using gelatin paper and not powder!
It's seems the same result, but the proportion is 3 and 1/4 of water + 1 of gelatin paper
First cut gelatin paper in little pices, than put it in cold water to melt it, after when it becomes smooth put in microwave with the same process.

It's work ok, i've tried making a little bow and it's work very well
Here thanks to our sun it dries in 1 or 2 hours!!!!
Only the colour...the red drying become pale pink!

Thans a lot and if you want, say this new also to the "American Friends"

You're all great!

Aleksandraaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aleksandraaa Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 5:01pm
post #783 of 887

Here is my first flower with this tehnique. I don't have any mats or molds or anything like that. I live in Serbia, Europe, and it's kind of complicated ordering stuff online. So, I used REAL leaves as impression mats. icon_smile.gif

The leaf itself is one of the tryouts, and you can see how uneven the thickness is. Petals turned out much better, but I still have to work on it.

I made this one just to see how it goes, I was very inpatient to try working with gelatin. icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #784 of 887

Wow Aleksandraaa, that flower is gorgeous and amazing!! Great work!! icon_biggrin.gif

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 12:14am
post #785 of 887

Aleksandraaa that is great especially with nothing but the great out doors, I love this technique, but also affraid of it lol... will have to just dive in and see where it goes... Good work...

Aleksandraaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aleksandraaa Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 10:12am
post #786 of 887

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 1:43pm
post #787 of 887

You did a beautiful job!!

duckybabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckybabe Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 10:53pm
post #788 of 887

OMG I am finally done reading ALL 53 pages, aahhhhh. It took me 3 days to read it since I am a mom too, lol.

I am super excited to give this a try and I just cant stand that I have to wait till wed to go to the store for supplies, sniff sniff, lol.

I cant wait because I have a baby shower coming up and was asked to make cupcakes, girl themed. They said oh just pink icing would be fine and maybe something small on top but said what ever I liked to do. Well I am so excited I want to put pink butterflies on top.
I will post pics once I give this a go.
Thank you so much for ALL the tips and tricks and I know I will have some questions coming up too, lol.

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:05pm
post #789 of 887

By all mean, that's what we're here for!! icon_biggrin.gif Ask away!!

jessie_mckinzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessie_mckinzie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:30pm
post #790 of 887

I just made some gelatin butterflies and dragonflies! I didn't have molds, so I hand cut them and painted on them. THANK YOU to EVERYONE on here for all your great ideas and advice!

My cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1802508

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #791 of 887

Jessie, you did a great job for handcutting them!! Very nice!!!

Loucinda Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:21pm
post #792 of 887

You did a great job! icon_smile.gif

NatashaRedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatashaRedel Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:11am
post #793 of 887

I have a question for the butterflies. I am ordering the book (one of the first two, can't remember which one...), but I'm not sure it'll be here before I need the cake done, what kind of paint are you using to paint the details on with? I am not feeling well so my brain cannot wrap itself around the problem.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 2:33am
post #794 of 887

where do you order the supplies for this?

Loucinda Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #795 of 887

You can use the edible markers or you can use airbrush paint and a tiny paintbrush. Be careful of the amount you use, too much and the gelatin will dissolve! You can also use piping gel on the edges and dip them in disco dust for the sparkle too.

PM me for info on where to get the supplies.

NatashaRedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatashaRedel Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 4:31am
post #796 of 887

Oh duh! Never would have thought of edible markers, even while I am using them for other butterfly wings dunce.gif Thank you for the help! Can't wait for the book to show up!

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #797 of 887

Ok, so i was wondering if anybody has tried it with gelatin sheets?? i dont use powdered gelatin at work, and would really like to try this out. If anybody has tried it and has a recipe, please let me know!! Thanks!!

litlecuchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litlecuchi Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:42pm
post #798 of 887

thanks!

eleets_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleets_treats Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:15pm
post #799 of 887

hello, how and when do you add wire? do you brush over it or lay it on top before it dries? just wondering for flowers and leaves etc.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #800 of 887

To add a wire to a flower or leaf, brush the gelatin in a thin layer on the mat. Place the wire where you want it and paint another thin layer of gelatin over the mat. Let dry overnight. Trim and decorate. That's all there is to it! icon_biggrin.gif

PatFoskett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatFoskett Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:58pm
post #801 of 887

Can someone please tell me if this is what Mary-Ann calls Incredible Gel? Thanks!

Loucinda Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 9:45pm
post #802 of 887

Mary Ann? There is one that goes my Moydear on here, is that who you are referring to?

Maggie30701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maggie30701 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 11:33pm
post #803 of 887

Can I make the flowers even if I dont have the sheets yet? If so, what kind of paper should I use? Parchment paper perhaps? Thanks for the tutorial.

keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:00pm
post #804 of 887

If this answer is this topic, I apologize. I just saw this and would LOVE to make this for a cake I'm working on later today. However right now, I'm at work

I've seen a few references to parchment paper.. but haven't noticed yet if anyone had success? (i'm skipping around which isn't helping, lol)

i'll keep searching the topic.. but was hoping someone could help me with a quick yes or no if it worked. What I'm thinking of doing is making long bands to wrap around each tier of a 3 tier cake.

thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

OK - read thru more and I think i can see parchment paper won't work.. darn. I'm limited in time today so I think I'll just have to play around on my own and stick to my original plans for this cake....

girlybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlybaker Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 11:00pm
post #805 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonK1973

I'm having a hard tim painting on an even layer on the silpat. Does anyone else have this problem? Any tips to get an even layer? Thanks!

I use a candle warmer that stays plugged in for everything from keeping chocolate warm to gelatin as I like to keep my house really cool here in Texas and things dry out fast. I will also sometimes use a heating pad under something that might dry to quickly. Just be sure to turn them off when not in use. I have never burned chocolate or anything else by using them. Also, a hotplate warmer works good too though it does get much hotter. Just be sure you do not use a plastic bowl! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 1:32am
post #806 of 887

Yes, a heating pad works, and I use one of the coffee cup warmers to keep the gelatin in a liquid state. (I know it is on several of the pages in this topic where we discuss it!)

flowergirl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowergirl1 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:35pm
post #807 of 887

could some kind person let me know where the butterfly posts are,im a newbe and get lost (quite a lot) thanks will keep on looking.

Loucinda Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 3:15am
post #808 of 887

The butterflies are just like making anything else gelatin, they are just made on the butterfly mats. PM me and I will tell you where you can get them.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:12am
post #809 of 887

They are beautiful! I gotta try it sometime!

saadyah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadyah Posted 26 Oct 2010 , 1:37am
post #810 of 887

hello, I was wondering, will this ercipe work with kosher gelatin? Also, How can I find the instructions on ow to make the butterflies? Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%