Stabilized Whipped Cream

Decorating By mija10417 Updated 7 May 2009 , 7:45pm by mija10417

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 4

I have a customer who wants whipped cream for their filling and I've had problems before trying to make it. If by some miracle I'm able to make it, how long could it sit out at room temp? Once I deliver it, there will be no place to refrigerate it and it won't be served for probably 2-4 hours.

any help would be so appreciated!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 4

Whipped cream, cream cheese stuff like that has a four hour cumulative 'above 40 degrees shelf life'. So add up the time you got it out of the frige at the store till you got home, plus how long it was out as you made it and got the caked filled--add up all the time it was out of the frige and when you get to four hours, time's up.

Besides most home friges don't hold at 40 degrees or below. We open the door constantly cooling things off all day. Put in a warm leftover after dinner and that takes it above 40.

After four hours means the product is starting to break down. It does not mean that just because you don't die if you eat it after five hours of being out then it was ok. No. It means that the forces of spoilage have begun in earnest. The very old, the very young and the ill would be the most affected.

So when I do a whipped cream filled cake I deliver late. I usually deliver two hours in advance. Whipped cream filled I deliver one hour to thirty minutes in advance. And I save at least two hours of the four cumulative hoursfor standing time.

That's how I do it.

As far as stabilizing it--if it is whipped correctly to the right stage it is stable as is.

icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 4

I do use gelatin to stabilize my whipped cream when I'm filling a cake with it. If you're decorating with it, it helps it maintain it's shape longer, it'll give you a firmer filling, and it'll extend it's refrigerated shelf life somewhat as well.

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the advice! Now if I could just get it stabilized icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%