Ugh Can U Seriously Use Impression Mats With Buttercream?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 8 May 2009 , 12:28am by JenniferMI

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:03am
post #1 of 14

cuz im having one hell of a time i have the diamond pattern and it looks like holy ugly crap i hate hate hate the crusting buttercreme it looks horrid i think it may be the heat of my house i can never find a perfect medium to smooth it it will either be too firm or too blah im just so tired of heat messing with my cakes icon_sad.gif i have my thermostat at 68 but the lovely arizona heat bumps my living space to about 82-84 any ideas is plain buttercream even an option for impression mats or am i hoping for too much?

13 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:11am
post #2 of 14

You need to make sure is crusting buttercream and you have to let it crust really well before doing it.. I let it sit for the least 30 minutes before doing it so it leaves a really nice impression!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

heavenlybaked2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlybaked2 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 14

i have never tried it with buttercream but if i was to try it i would dust it with powdered sugar real light first and lightly use the mat. maybe that would work??? if that doesnt work i would use a nice stamp or cookie cutter....

tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 14

You dont need powder sugar. You need a good consistency icing though...can't be too wet..
Another thing is make sure you clean with a dry paper the impression before pressing it again
Edna icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 14

It's only gonna get worse, it was maybe 100 here today, you know it will be in the teens in a matter of a month or two....might want to budget for turning down the air. I can't imagine not having a chilly cake studio and I'm in AZ.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

It's only gonna get worse, it was maybe 100 here today, you know it will be in the teens in a matter of a month or two....might want to budget for turning down the air. I can't imagine not having a chilly cake studio and I'm in AZ.

!
The high today here (Western Montana) was 50...and I was complaining that I can't use the front porch as my personal walk in freezer anymore. I can't imagine working in that heat, ac or no.

...sorry to rant off topic

tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

!
The high today here (Western Montana) was 50...and I was complaining that I can't use the front porch as my personal walk in freezer anymore. I can't imagine working in that heat, ac or no.

...sorry to rant off topic

lol..I am in Florida, it was 90 today.. the humidity can be a killer. But usually AC helps.
Edna icon_smile.gif

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #8 of 14

oh i know jamie its sooooo hot it makes it unbearable and my cakes just weep icon_sad.gif luckly during this summer i dont forsee many cakes i guess i could give the crusting butter cream a go again it just seemed so blah last time i did it

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:46am
post #9 of 14

What about using a hot knife to make your impression instead. It may be a bit easier.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #10 of 14

I use the impression mat on buttercream - just do as tonedna says, make sure it is crusted well and make sure that mat is clean between each time you press it.

I read on here somewhere that someone used a tiny dowel to do it also. They made tiny marks at the top and bottom of the cake to make sure it was uniform, then used the dowel to make the diamnond pattern - maybe that would work better for you?

I know when I first started using the impression mat, there would be spots that I didn't press as hard as I should have, so I would take the large spatula and use that to "repair" the places that needed to have a deeper impression.

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 7 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 14

Does anyone have any tips for using impression mats for fondant? In the past, I rolled out my fondant, pressed the impression mat onto it and then transferred it to the cake. However, during the move to the cake, the pattern stretches and gets ruined. Any suggestions???

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 14

mkm, you press the mat onto the fondnat right after you apply it, before it sets up too much!

HTH

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 14

mkm, you press the mat onto the fondnat right after you apply it, before it sets up too much!

HTH

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #14 of 14

I would try a different icing recipe. Maybe one with all shortening? I'm willing to share mine if you want it.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%