Fake Cakes That Are Carved

Decorating By imartsy Updated 6 May 2009 , 10:55pm by imartsy

imartsy Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 4

I'm looking into the state fair again and there are times when I'd love to do a carved cake......like I know I could do something really cool if I could start out with the lamb pan and add to it - I know how to do it in real cake - but not with styrofoam / non-edible materials. Non-edible materials are preferred - the cakes sit under hot lights for two weeks during the fair.....

Does anyone know how to do this? There's got to be some way it's done - I can't imagine that the cakes I see for competitions are always real cake......but maybe I'm wrong.

3 replies
Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 4

Actually I've seen guidlines from cake competitions and I did encounter that carved cakes SHOULD be made from actual cakes and NOT dummies/styrofoam. I think that makes sense because you can do tons of things with styrofoam that are so not possible with real cakes. People correct me if I am wrong.

Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 4

here is a link. from OSSAS.

http://www.oklahomasugarartists.com/PDF%20Docs/OSSAS1RR2009ltrF/OSSAS1RR2009ltrF.pdf

Oh and it says, "3-D sculptures may only use Styrofoam where absolutely necessary". I'm not sure what they mean by that.

Well it doesn't really matter because there's different rules on every competition.

imartsy Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 4

Well there's no "Carved cake" category. We have birthday, "horse" theme, and bridal cake.

And I've just discovered one of the things we're judged on is "practicality" - now what in the heck is that supposed to mean?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%