Shippping A Cake

Decorating By bubbiesbougie Updated 7 May 2009 , 7:38am by SugarFrosted

bubbiesbougie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbiesbougie Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 9

Anyone every ship a cake? I was thinking Freezing it and dry ice but idk?

Any thoughts.

8 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 9

I have never done it, but I have read some disasterous posts from people who have! It is definitely not recommended. icon_smile.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 9

I have seen companies that do it, but I have no idea how it gets to its destination safely. Sorry!

luckytricey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckytricey Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 9

I have shipped cakes before. I live in NJ and my family lives in CA. I shipped an entire space ship cake complete with moons and planets for my nephew. I froze each piece, wrapped it all up individually - first in plastic wrap, then in foil - and then used ALOT of bubble wrap around each piece. I used a fragile box that had "this end up" on it. FedEx works the best and always overnight. I have sent other cakes this way, all have made it with no problem.

Include assembly directions with pictures depending on the complexity of the cake. Do not attempt any type of shipping of stacked cakes, it will not work. Lastly, only fondant, just had to say it, buttercream stands no chance, even frozen.

Latrice Basham of Tricey Treats

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 9

I wouldnt!

I do know companies do it (well at least in the Neiman marcus catalog the ADVERTISE cakes, so I assume someone must buy one!) I'll bet they do some kind of flash freeze.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 9

There is post that I believe kelleym did and she showed before and after pictures and it was a disaster. I believe that the post talked about how the packages are processed and there is no way that they can guarantee that is would stay the correct way up. I think that she had fragile written all over the box. icon_sad.gif I believe that she used fedex.

tanya1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanya1120 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #7 of 9

I wouldn't due to the fact that I work for a shipping company..BAX Global. Every box that comes through has "this end up" or "fragile" on it. We try to keep it up right but its hard when the box travels all over. I put freight into airplanes and we have to get every box we can into that plane no matter which way the box ends up...as long as fits. So I wouldn't send a cake. But if others have and it successfully got there in one piece that's amazing.

keepsake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsake Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:31am
post #8 of 9

You might want to try sending one to yourself, or to a friend or family member (especially if they are out of state, or a distance from you). Then you can see for yourself how it arrived. Just a thought!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:38am
post #9 of 9

here is the thread detailing kelleym's disaster
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-626570.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%