Raspberry Zinger Cake Balls

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 7 May 2009 , 1:08pm by luv2cook721

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #1 of 18

I was experimenting with cake ball combos tonight and decided to use raspberry jam as an adhering agent in one batch. Then as I was scooping them up and the smell reminded me of raspberry zingers I decided to add coconut. They are very yummy plain as they are, but also very sticky. What would you coat them with?

17 replies
dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:46am
post #2 of 18

I don't think you could go wrong with chocolate. Raspberry with chocolate is wonderful.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #3 of 18

and coconut with chocolate is wonderful. Sounds like a darn good cake ball, to me.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:25am
post #4 of 18

That sound delicious!! What kind of cake did you make?

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:32am
post #5 of 18

Yum!
that would be like coconut & white choc raspberry bullets,.. mmmm

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:36am
post #6 of 18

please explain this cake ball thing to me. chocolate raspberry is my very favorite thing.

luv2cook721 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

That sound delicious!! What kind of cake did you make?

WASC

luv2cook721 Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

please explain this cake ball thing to me. chocolate raspberry is my very favorite thing.

When you have cake trimmings from leveling, carving or screwing up a cake you crumb it up, add something to hold it together such as frosting, coffee creamer or in this case raspberry jelly and mix it in thoroughly and then scoop out balls with a cookie scoop or spoon. Most often they are then covered in some kind of chocolate.

I was thinking white chocolate, but you are right reg chocolate sounds good too. Do you think semi sweet would be good. It might balance out the super sweetness of the cake ball, but I don't want it to be too bitter.

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #9 of 18

wow, that sounds great ! I agree with the semi sweet choc...great idea!
When you made these, about how much raspberry jam did you use?

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 18

Could you just roll them in coconut?

stlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlcakelady Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 18

Raspberry zingers are my favorite!!! What about using white chocolate with a raspberry oil (extract) for chocolate....don't know exactly what they're called. That way you'll get the taste in the white chocolate as well....then coat with pink/red tinted coconut???

stlcakelady Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 18

Hey...just thought about this. What about using pourable fondant, then covering in coconut????

luv2cook721 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:58am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

wow, that sounds great ! I agree with the semi sweet choc...great idea!
When you made these, about how much raspberry jam did you use?

Not really sure...I probably had at least 3 cups of crumbs and then I added three large spoon fulls of jelly, mixed for a while and decided it needed more. I just went with it till I felt the mixture was the right consistancy. I scooped a little less than half before I thought of the coconut so I had about 2 cups and added at least half a cup of coconut, but I love coconut.

luv2cook721 Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:59am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcakelady

Hey...just thought about this. What about using pourable fondant, then covering in coconut????

Never worked with that yet, what is it like? I have seen it on here, but hadn't gotten around to really researching it.

luv2cook721 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:02am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Could you just roll them in coconut?

Thought about that, but I was afraid they would dry out easily without a coating like chocolate. Might try a few out that way though, just as a test batch. Of course sitting in the fridge covered in plastic isn't helping them stay moist either, but it will probably be Friday before I can attend to them.

stlcakelady Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:11pm
post #16 of 18

Pourable fondant is a little tricky because it can start to dry on you, but all you do is warm it back up in the micro. I've used it on cupcakes in which I picked up the cupcake and dipped it in a bowl of fondant. You could use the same technique in which you put the cake ball on a skewer and dip it. If you decide this, just make sure to use a good recipe, not a quick one. I'll look for mine and forward it.

stlcakelady Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, so I can't locate the recipe I used. It does require cooking it though. So if you find the ones that don't get cooked, I wouldn't use them because they're not as tasty. Also, if you go to cakejournal's website, she has a recipe on there. If you click on how to do poured fondant, she then also explains that you can take rolled fondant and warm it in the microwave and then thin it down will boiling water to use that as poured fondant. This method sounds super easy, so I'd give it a shot.

luv2cook721 Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:08pm
post #18 of 18

thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%