I Need Your Help!!please

Decorating By skaggs1 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 10:59am by skaggs1

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 11

I attached a pic of a wedding cake that a bride has requested. Problem is I can't figure out what the top tier is, is it actual cake or a topper? If it is cake then how do I do it. Then the second tier do I get that shape from carving it from a round cake? If so how do I get it to look uniformed? TIA!!

10 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 11

In my opinion, I think that can be achived by using a cake or a dummy. I don't think anyone can actually tell whatever it is unless that person is familiar with the cake.

If I were to do the silver part, I would wrap a strip of gumpaste or gumpaste/fondant mixture around a dummy covered with parchment paper on the sides (use tylose glue to attach it. Once its attached, cut out the shape (the triangular looking shape) and then use a circle cutter to make the circle cutouts around. I would then wait for the whole thing to dry and once its dry, I would slide it off the dummy and then slide it onto the cake. Make sure the cake is smaller than the dummy used to guide the silver thing.

I'm not sure if I explained it well enough but if you check my second fondant cake, you will see a fence. It would be a similar technique.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 11

I'm just wondering if it might be chocolate. Just a thought, but here's you a bump. Maybe someone can help.

Luvsthedogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvsthedogs Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:27am
post #4 of 11

Looks like metal. Try the hardware store??

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #5 of 11

I agree with rylan..it looks like gumpaste. Just colored metallic and used cut out circles and wrapped it around the cake.

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

If I were to do the silver part, I would wrap a strip of gumpaste or gumpaste/fondant mixture around a dummy covered with parchment paper on the sides (use tylose glue to attach it. Once its attached, cut out the shape (the triangular looking shape) and then use a circle cutter to make the circle cutouts around. I would then wait for the whole thing to dry and once its dry, I would slide it off the dummy and then slide it onto the cake. Make sure the cake is smaller than the dummy used to guide the silver thing.

Those were my first thoughts exactly. Or chocolate clay came to mind. That would work as well and be a little tastier.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:47am
post #7 of 11

That cake is gorgeous!!!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #8 of 11

I've achieved this look by using bubble wrap and chocolate. Spread the chocolate (compound - like Merkins_ on the bubble side of the wrap. Place over a styrofoam "dummy" to get the shape. When the chocolate sets up, pull the wrap off. It's really easy! If you look at my castle cake in my pics, you'll see the turrets were done using this technique. Hope this helps! (Oh, I would then brush it with silver dusting mixed with a bit of Kirsch for the metalic look)

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #9 of 11

I see someone beat me to it... but I just saw "bubble wrap chocolate" for the first time yesterday while hunting the internet for something else. If you do a google image search for bubble wrap chocolate, you'll pull up several pictures and it looks just like what's on the top tier of your cake. Good luck!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #10 of 11

I have made that cake. I used rolled fondant. I cut a pattern to wrap around the cake, then cut out the fondant, then made the holes in the fondant, painted it with lustre dust/vodka, then just wrapped it around the cake.

skaggs1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skaggs1 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:59am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much!! Classicake do you have the instructions for this cake? I need all the help I can get lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%