Cookie Bouquets - Containers? Weight?

Baking By djs328 Updated 8 May 2009 , 7:20pm by bbmom

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 9

Hello cookie experts!
I am going to attempt my first cookie bouquet this week for my son's preschool teachers...can anyone tell me what type of container you use for the 'flower pot' and what do you use inside to a) hold the cookie sticks and b) weight it so it won't tip??
ANY other advice for a rookie cookie bouquet maker?
TIA!!!

icon_smile.gif

8 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #2 of 9

I haven't made one but I think if you buy some of those clear beads/marbles (sorry I can't remember the exact name) from the dollar store (I think there in the floral section) or even some uncooked beans might work for weight if you are not using a clear container. I would put some foam at the bottom of your pot and stick the cookie sticks into them and then spread the beads in for weight.

I think you can use any kind of container you want. I guess it would depend on what look your going for.

Here's just the 1st page of more than 200 when I did a search. Maybe you can get an idea about the pot from one of them.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=cookie+bouquet&album=-&search_user=

HTH!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #3 of 9

I make cookie bouquets, not an expert by any means, but here is how I do it. I use a terracotta pot, you can buy them in many sizes at Michaels, Walmart, just to name a couple. The reason I use them is because they are cheap and heavy. You don't have to put in anything for weight. I paint it what ever color I want with either Patio paint or a brand such as FolkArt. A lot of the time, I just paint it white. Decorate it for the occasion. Sometimes I use foam or paper stickers. Occasionally, you can find these kind of pots at dollar stores.

I use floral foam for artificial flowers to put in the pot and hold the sticks. Do not buy Oasis, the kind for real flowers, it is too soft. I cut the foam to fit the pot. If you are making smaller bouquets, there is enough foam for two.

I use shiney's method of gluing and taping the stick on the bag. Here is her explanation:

Quote:
Quote:

After seeing this, I thought I'd go through the process for y'all. I sit in front of one of those tv tray tables, have a stack of bags, and sticks, and place several pieces of packing tape around the table, hanging off the edge,so i can pull them off easily. I hotglue stick to first bag in stack, immediately put the tape on, set aside, and on and on. It's something you can do while watching tv, and feel like you're multi-tasking, and not just sitting in front of the tv

Then you just put the cookie in the bag and tie with a pretty ribbon.

I use nylon net as a filler for my bouquets, again it is cheap and gives the bouquet a light airy feeling. I did find that it is better to use darker colors.

Here is a link to my St Paddy's day bouquet using the methods I have described:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1353754&sub=1353755

If you don't want to use terracotta pots, you can use about any other container, and as xstitcher says, use decorative rocks, or the glass rounds you find at crafts stores to weight it.

HTH, good luck

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 9

As linedancer stated, terra cotta pots are perfect for cookie bouquets. You can't beat the price, and you can decorate them in any color or theme you want. Another option is to use coffee mugs. I've gotten a number of them at Michael's for $1, though they're usually seasonal. The Dollar Store or similar place also is wonderful for finding inexpensive containers. As with the terra cotta pots, I don't use anything in the containers for weight...don't really need it.

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 9

I love those pots too. If you were wanting other possible ideas anything that contains a substance can be used. Food cans (sterilzed of course) Candle vases. etc. I found these wonderful plastic soda glasses that fit a 50's theme that was requested. The price I paid was .50 cents to 1.00.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_418073.html

If your worried about weight a small amount of glass marble decorations work wonderfully as well. and adds a little touch to the clear containers if you use them.

Have fun. Hope it helps.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 9

ShyannAutumn those cookies are amazing! I can't imagine the amount of time you must have spent hand painting them! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks stitcher, Honestly they didn't take long at all to do. I painted them "all" in one day. The time is eaten up in sketches and transfering them onto the fondant.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 9

I don't often make cookies, I don't have the patience so hats off to all of you who do! But I did once make some cookie bouquets for my kid's teachers as an end of school year gift. I put the bouquets in fancy Chinese food style containers which I got at Michaels for no more than a buck each. The containers matched the summer theme which was kind of nice. To provide weight to the light container I bought a huge bag of jelly beans at my local cash and carry store. I poured jelly beans into zip lock bags which I placed in the bottom of each container. It was an inexpensive solution, and the teachers loved the extra little treat in the container.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=715043

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 9

I agree about the terra cotta pots, they're very versatile. I get the foam at walmart, 3 blocks of it for $1.97.
If I'm using something lighter weight, I make sure not to arrange the cookies too high in the container or it will get top heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%