Flop...redemption???? (Long)

Decorating By loves2bake Updated 5 May 2009 , 3:44am by sari66

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #1 of 4

Ok, when I 1st started baking a couple of yrs ago I was asked by someone I work with to do a (summer) wedding cake for a family member. I thought the cake (new recipe) turned out good (I made extra batter & baked one for me too). Then she changed the icing at the last minute (I ate mine without icing..yummy) I delivered the cakes to the wedding & left with payment. Then the woman told me the next day that BOTH cakes were inedible icon_twisted.gif I was mortified!! icon_cry.gif I offered to do another cake for the 1st anniversary but I never got an answer so I didn't push it. But being the soft-hearted person I am, I felt bad that she didn't like it. So at Christmas I offered to make her a different cake & she accepted. I also want to add that no-one else at my job ordered another cake from me for a while so she must have had plenty to say.... I will also add that that was my first wedding cake & I was very inexperienced. The cake was good & i thought this was a nice apology. Anyway, I never heard anything back from her about the cake 7 it was never mentioned. But I kept on with my business 9away from work) & have had raves about how delicious my cakes are. icon_biggrin.gif Then I got tired of playing this game because I love to bake & decided to take matters in my own hands. the boss's b-day was coming up and I decided to throw him a bday party - guess who made the cake?? Everyone at work loved the cake & the boss liked it so much he was licking his fork icon_lol.gif Still I didn't say anything to anyone. I made another cake for a luncheon we had a few months ago & people were asking for 2nds. Okay, so my phone rings today and it was my co-worker. She wants me to bake her a bday cake for a luncheon that we will both be at next week icon_confused.gif My question is WHy? Did she have a change of heart? Did she hear how wonderful my cakes are now & suddenly want one? icon_eek.gif So I said I'd love to do a cake for her & gave her a discounted price, but it has been 2 YEARS since that incident! icon_razz.gif What should I do?? Did I discount it enough? (12%) Too much? What Would You Do?>?>?>? Is this my chance for redemption??? HELP!!!!

3 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 4

Just out of curiosity, what was her reason for saying the wedding cakes were inedible?

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 4

I say that the discount you gave is more than enough. I would not continue to kiss her rear just to make up for something done 2 yrs ago when no other explanation was given as to why they were in edible. You offered cakes to her before, if she did not take you up on it then it is her loss. Full price for her I say.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #4 of 4

That was my question too what was wrong with the wedding cake?
As for the cake now if you gave her a discount already that's fine but I don't think you really needed to cause as you said it's been two years and she's obviously tried your other cakes and enjoyed them.
If you just need to know ask her why the change of heart regarding your cakes, otherwise just make her your best cake and let that speak for it self.

sari

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%