First Attempt At Gelatin Butterfly

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 5 May 2009 , 3:34pm by Katiekatiekatie

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 13

Here is my first attempt at the gelatin butterfly (there will be another pic with the body attached if you look at the first one)

This was a class that was at our DOS here in Columbus this past week. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. I just need practice with the delicate painting!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1361000

12 replies
Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 13

WOW! I just posted a topic about edible butterflies. If anyone knows where I can buy them.

If you could pm me how to make them or tell me how you learned, I'd give it a try.

I have a time constraint so I wanted to buy them, how long did that take?

Thanks,
Katie

Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 13

It really was not too difficult! The class was by Diane Simmons and Michaelle Stidham from cake connection in Michigan. You need to have their template sheets to make them, but once you have that they are not hard to do! (www.cakeconnection.com or their phone # is 517-990-0880)

Katiekatiekatie Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 13

Thank soo much!

I guess Ill be giving it a try when I get the sheets.

What did you color it with? and the sparkle?

Thanks again!
Katie

Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 13

I actually painted them with airbrush color that I thinned with vodka. I then sprinkled some of the sparkle dust while they were still damp. You have to use a tiny paintbrush and just a tiny amount of paint, or it will dissolve the gelatin and you loose your butterfly!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 13

Seems soo cool!! I cant wait to try this now!

Loucinda Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #7 of 13

OK - the pic in my original post is gone! Here is a new link to the butterfly uploaded again. Hopefully it won't follow the other one!! icon_confused.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1361256&done=1

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 13

Wow (AWESOME wow) thats all I can say. Period.

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #9 of 13

Where can you buy the sheet to make them? They looks so beautiful. Would love to make some for my daughters b-day cake in june. Can you make them in advance and how long will they last?

Loucinda Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #10 of 13

I got them at our DOS from cake connection out of Michigan. I don't know how long they will last - I would think quite a while if you keep them out of humidity. They really are so delicate and beautiful!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I got them at our DOS from cake connection out of Michigan. I don't know how long they will last - I would think quite a while if you keep them out of humidity. They really are so delicate and beautiful!

Thanks for the info. Will have to search around I guess.

Loucinda Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 13

Cake connection has a website that you can order them from - just put the words together and add dot com! I know they are working on a book that is supposed to be done by the end of July (so it will be available at the ICES convention) I am IMpatiently waiting for the book!! The ladies that taught the class - Diane Simmons and Michaelle Stidham.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #13 of 13

Wow that looks great!!

Cant wait to get my template to give it a try!!!

Katie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%