Icing Cake Ahead Of Time Advice

Decorating By boomerangbakerkaren Updated 5 May 2009 , 11:58am by soygurl

boomerangbakerkaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbakerkaren Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

I am making my in-laws 50th Anniv. cake this saturday. Can I frost and pipe swiss-meringue buttercream on cake 24hrs ahead of time and still have it be delicious? Will the buttercream hold up in the fridge that long and then be able to sit out for approx. 7 hrs successfully? Anyone with make-ahead experience.........I would love any advice you have to offer!!

4 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 5

i dont know about the sm but i always do my bc wedding cakes ahead of time, a doy or two, and have not had any problems with freshness. I usually dont put them in the fridge unless the filling needs it (like fruit).

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:24am
post #3 of 5

I don't know about smbc either. I've been known to leave my BC out for 2 days before delivering. It's not a recipe that needs to be refrigerated. I'll give you a bump, maybe somebody else will know.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:35am
post #4 of 5

I'll give you a bump too, it would be interesting to find out.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:58am
post #5 of 5

That's how we do ALL our wedding cakes at the bakery I work at (busy local bakery; ~150 wedding cakes/year). The SMBC comes to room temp while on display at the wedding reception.
We refrigerate all completed cakes. Mostly because our fillings are whipped cream based, but also because the SMBC gets nice and stiff in the fridge, and is more 'stable' that way. Makes deliveries MUCH MUCH easier!!!
However, SMBC IS stable at room temp for several days if you don't want to refrigerate for some reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%