Covering 12 Inch Cakes And Larger With Fondant

Decorating By lendler Updated 4 May 2009 , 3:21am by xstitcher

lendler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lendler Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 3

I have a 12 inch and a 16 inch cake that I want to cover in fondant. Can anyone share with me their techniques/tips for covering large cakes without them tearing?

Thank you

2 replies
pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 3

ok, what I do when I have a large cake to cover in fondant is to use a large piece of that thick plastic table roll. (The kind your grandma used to cover her fancy tablecloths wiht to make them wipe clean) I very lightly grease the plastic, and roll out my fondant. Then, when its as big as I need it, I lift the plastic and all, and lay it fondant side down on the cake, and start peeling the edges of fondant off and letting it rest on the cake.

Works like a charm!! icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #3 of 3

You can either use the silicone mat (ateco has one that is 36" X 24") or you could buy the vinyl from the fabric store (just ask them not to fold it so you don't get creases in it (ask me how I know icon_lol.gif ) and store it rolled up as well or you could just roll it onto your rolling pin before transferring it. Just make sure you dust some cornstarch on your fondant as your roll it onto the rolling pin to prevent it sticking together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%