Dark Buttercream Problems

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 6 May 2009 , 12:12pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 5

This has happened to me a couple of times when I have used the dark buttercream colors like navy and burgundy.
It looks like white grit all through it. I use a crisco based buttercream and when you add a lot of color gel to it it seems like it separates. Does this happen to you? And how or can I avoid it doing that?
Very curious to this answer icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
Kerry_Kake Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe I worded this wrong. The buttercream looks grainy. Like the crisco has separated from the color. Has this happened to you before? What can I do about it?

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 5

I think that since Crisco has changed their recipe to make it trans-fat free, that has been happening quite a bit. The icing looks streaky and almost like it is separating.
I switched over to using a high-ratio shortening and it seems to have worked. Maybe you should try it too and compare.

hth

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

Hmmm, I have had that happen to but it wasn't just when I used Crisco. I used a shortening with transfat and no coloring in it and it looked grainy. I ended up putting it in the fridge and letting it set up some then rewhipping it and that worked. Not sure if it will work all the time but it did that time.

Kerry_Kake Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 5

Hhmmmm, thanks for your opinions. Anybody else???
How much trans fat is in the high ratio shortening?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%