Nothing Is Working!! Need Help And To Vent! (A Bit Long)

Decorating By lindambc Updated 3 May 2009 , 6:39am by FlourPots

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:36am
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone!

I have been trying to enter a cake in the local fair for the past 3 years! Every year something happens and I am not able to do it. So I thought I would try again this year, bought the cake dummies, all the pretties to go on the cake, have been so excited!

We recently had to move in with my in-laws but they are so supportive in my caking. But nothing is working for me. The fondant is tearing, it has been humid, the baby is teething and DH has been gone for 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any advice. I did stop for the night and am taking a break. Should I try the fondant again? Should I just do buttercream? Should I just not do the cakes for the fair. I didn't pick difficult designs for the cakes, its stuff I know I can do. Oh and they are due Friday morning. icon_lol.gif

I feel like a superhuge crybaby but I feel so disappointed and sad! icon_cry.gif

Thanks to everyone for listening, I know you guys will understand! And I do kinda feel a bit better.

Linda

7 replies
en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:40am
post #2 of 8

Try rolling your fondant thicker? I know when I roll it too thin it is more apt to tear.

lindambc Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:57am
post #3 of 8

I will try making it thicker. When I rolled it out, I thought it was really thick, but I will try.

Thank You

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:01am
post #4 of 8

thicker definitely and if your edges on your dummies are not already rounded, then sand them down just a bit so they're softer. the edges of the styro destroys fondant. if it's humid, I find it best to roll it out with cornstarch too. And nothing cures issues like a break!

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:03am
post #5 of 8

I know people think you're not supposed to put fondant in the fridge, but one day it was super hot and humid here, and i was having such a hard time with tearing of my fondant, it seemed like it was almost melting, so i put it in the fridge for about an hour, then it was much easier to work with, even cold! There were no adverse reactions to being in the fridge either.

lindambc Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 8

Thank you for the help. I will try all your suggestions! Will let you know how round two goes!

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:19am
post #7 of 8

You might also have too much PS & not enough grease (butter, fat etc .. ) in it. It tears easy when you have too much PS in it, it makes it really dry & brittle

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:39am
post #8 of 8

You can also roll out your fondant and leave it alone, uncovered for awhile to dry out, then try lifting it...that's what I had to do once...it's the only way I was able to make it work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%