Help! 1St Paid Cake For A Group

Decorating By justErin Updated 5 May 2009 , 12:44pm by cylstrial

justErin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justErin Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 8

This is my first post on CC, and I am still learning the lingo, so please forgive me!

I have my first paid cake coming up this week, and I am freaked out. I am making a 1/2 white 1/2 chocolate 12x18 cake for the Confirmation kids at our church. I may alter it and build a cross out of the cakes, but as of now, I am too freaked out to take something like that on.

Anyway, my main question is: How on earth do I get 18 names on the cake? I'd like to do something creative as this is my first cake, and would LOVE some new business. Any insight you have is very welcome - as are any actual pictures of cakes with multiple names. I can't seem to figure out how to bring up images in the gallery like that.

TIA!

7 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 8

Hi Erin!

Welcome to CC!

Stop freaking now girl.... icon_smile.gif

I do all my writing with a KopyKake projector... now I'm assuming you might now have one. You could always get an edible image made with a list of all the names...that would look nice, like under a cross on the cake.
Writing can be the trickiest thing to master on cakes...

If you need any more help, just yell. Happy baking!

Jen icon_smile.gif

justErin Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #3 of 8

Thanks Jen! Those are both great ideas! icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 3 May 2009 , 8:21am
post #4 of 8

If you couldn't fit them all on the cake, could you set up a paper list in a frame nearby, then just do your creative thing with the cake? Just a thought.

justErin Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:13am
post #5 of 8

What about doing a cake like this, but putting the names around the sides (vertical) of the cake? Would that look really stupid? Would it be too much? I would do the lettering in red, also.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1355225

justErin Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 8

bump

justErin Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 8

Nevermind - I decided to make a cross cookie for each kid and put their names on those instead.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by justErin

Nevermind - I decided to make a cross cookie for each kid and put their names on those instead.

That sounds like a good idea! It will definitely be easier to write on the cookies...and then if you mess a cookie up, you can just throw it out and start on a new one...where as if you messed the cake up, you'd have to figure out how to fix it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%