What So 7 Yr Olds Like?

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 3 May 2009 , 11:30am by courtney1009

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 16

I have an order for a girls 7th birthday cake. The mom was really clueless. She asked me if the cake would have frosting on it. I thought about telling her no I'm just going to hand her a cake and a tub of frosting and tell her to decorate it herself. haha! I kept asking her questions about what she wanted the cake to look like and she gave me no ideas. I was thinking about doing some type of lollipop theme. I was going to make swirly lollipops with fondant to stick out of the top of the cake and have some additional fondant accents. Is this a cake a 7 yr old would like? I usually get baby cakes or adult orders. My kids are still pretty young. So tell me am I way off base? Should I come up with something different?

15 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 16

I would ask the mom if there is a theme to the party first. If there is, great , go with the theme, You can also ask to see the invitation and match the invitation by way of colors or design.

Your lollipop idea sounds cute but I know my 7 year old loves Hannah Montana, flowery stuff, cute animals, etc.

Good luck.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 16

Its a shame the mother couldn't tell you anything about the girl's likes and dislikes and interests or a sport even!

I have a 7 year old daughter. She and her friends love singing, dancing, dolls (still) and ANYTHING glitzy, pink or purply. Unicorns and fairies are popular. Bratz dolls are also popular, but they are banned in our household, LOL... My dtr also loves cute animals and colourful things like rainbows icon_smile.gif

I am in Australia, so it may be different where you are. My daughter does ballet and modern dance, so that is a popular theme as well.

Hope this helps a bit! Good luck with it...

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 16

Oh yeah - and High School Musical is popular here, as well as Hannah Montana.

courtney1009 Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 16

That's the problem. This mom was no help. She was very nice, but I asked her at least 10 questions and she just kept saying she didn't know. I guess this is the cake for the family party. There is an official party that I am not doing the cake for. That's why I'm so clueless.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 16

Ok, this is off topic but as a teacher by day...I am so tired of parents that take no notice or interest in their children! I have actually had a parent say to me that what their child does just doesn't interest them (the parent!) AAHHHH!! Alright, I'll be ok...sorry for being no help op icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with the other posts that an invitation might be just what you need for inspiration. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 16

My daughter is 7 and she loves anything pink, purple or that has an animal print. Sparkly or glittery is good too, and she loves things with feathers. She likes the Cheetah girls but not Hannah Montana (says she's SO yesterday, LOL). She likes Barbies and Bratz and anything with flames and hearts.

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 16

My cousin is almost 8, but still into the same things she liked a year ago lol. I am making her cake next week and it will be 2 tiers covered with rolled bc and decorated with RI butterflies. I might add some flowers onto it as well.

She likes Hannah Montana, High School Musical, some frilly things...like she loves shoes, she also like to ride her bike and play with the boys (she has 2 teenage brothers)...but not all little girls are into the same thing.

I really like the lollipop idea given you dont have any more info about the little girls' interests...she might be one that doesnt like Hannah or HSM ya know. Like already said, maybe the mom can at least tell you what colors will be at the party and you can use that color scheme.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 16

Thats sad that the mom didnt know what her daughter likes...When is the order? I'd call back and ask for hobbies, favorite colors. Maybe you can talk to the daughter and find out her interests. The lollipop theme would be ok if done in her fav colors otherwise she might think its too young. Unfortunately a lot of 7yr olds are more savvy than we were at that age.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 16

if i was in doubt, id basically go for a pretty girly spotted cake in shades of pink and cream with ribbon roses and bows, at least it would be pretty for her. seriously though, i wish customers would give more information, i had an order for a communion cake and the customer didnt even know the spelling of the child's name - Claire or Clare!!!! it was for a neighbour, but still, there's certain things you need to check! theres nothing i like more than a really chatty enthusiastic customer that you can get an idea of what they want and chat about what design you think will work, at least there are no surprises or disappointment then!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 16

id also say make an iron clad contract! it needs to spell out that when it came to the design, the person placing the order, mum, did not give any restrictions, or suggestions. you dont want her seeing the cake, and saying, 'umm my daughter doesnt like X, so, i wont be paying full price', or of course, showing the girl the cake, who apparently doesnt like something.
i like the lollipop idea, simple classic ideas like stripes, spots, butterflies, flowers too.
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 16

When I was a little boy I secretly loved playing with my sister's barbies while they were gone. I think pink is one color most 7 year olds would like. I think the lollipops are nice but I also think whimsical flowers, teapots and butterflies are pretty.

courtney1009 Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks guys! That was a big help. I probably will try to call the mom one more time, but like I said after 10 "I don't knows" I'm not sure if I'm going to get much out of her. Thanks again for your help. At least now if she still is no help I have some things to go off of. Thanks again!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

i like the lollipop idea, simple classic ideas like stripes, spots, butterflies, flowers too.
xx

This would be a great generic theme...lollipop, wrapped candy (made from fondant) would go over well

My dtr just turned 7. She's not into Hannah Montana, HSM, she loves flowers, butterflies, purple, pink, pretty and swirly!

Check out vlin28's recent cake...that would work too. (except change the 1 to a 7!)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1359022.html

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 3 May 2009 , 8:22am
post #15 of 16

Maybe you can call the mom and ask to speak to the kid? I don't know if she'd let you, but then the little girl can tell you exactly what she likes.

Otherwise I'd play it safe and do something generic. Flowers, a gift package maybe, butterflies. Lots of color.

courtney1009 Posted 3 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #16 of 16

Well I just thought I'd let everyone know. I called the mom again and after quite a few questions we decided on butterflies. She seems pretty excited about it too. She was very thankful that I called her to make sure her daughter would like the cake. Thanks again for all of your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%