Eyelashes??

Decorating By kyhendry Updated 2 May 2009 , 12:54am by kyhendry

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 7

I have a cake to make for a 5 year old girl of a Triceratops but also somehow cute and princess-like. My idea is to do a carved cake that is a big head of this dinosaur (fashioned after Cera in Land Before Time) but with big eyelashes, lipstick, a tiara, etc.

My question is how would you go about making the eyelashes? I've had a couple of ideas: piped royal icing, black licorice strands (but I'd like them a little thinner and curved), gumpaste.

Just looking for a little brainstorming help to get the best effect since I think this feature will definitely make this cake POP!

Thanks for any help everyone!!

Kathleen

6 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 7

How about gumpaste? You could make them fairly thin and rest them on a curved cup or something along those lines for the right shape. HTH!

kyhendry Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks emiyeric. I was thinking that might be my only way to get them the length I need with the strength I need (I thought RI would be too fragile).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 7

I agree. I think the gumpaste would work best.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 7

I would make them out of gumpaste, then set them in the small flower former (wilton) that would give them the pretty "curve". do you have one of the clay gun extruders? You could use that to get them all uniform and really thin.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 7

I would make them out of gumpaste, then set them in the small flower former (wilton) that would give them the pretty "curve". do you have one of the clay gun extruders? You could use that to get them all uniform and really thin.

kyhendry Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone! I agree that I think Gumpaste will work best too. Loucinda - GREAT idea for the extruder to get thin ropes - I do have one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%