Serious Cakes -- I Need Your Advice! Others Welcome Too!

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 3 May 2009 , 4:39am by shanna_banana

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 17

Hello Serious Cakes & Everyone!

Well, I am working hard to perfect your icing recipe. But no matter how much more liquid I add, or how much longer I let the mixer go, I still end up with TOTALLY airy frosting. I am bummed out...here's a picture of it on the spatula and in a dollop...what should I do??

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

16 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 17

It looks like it is to thin to me and has been whipped to much but I am no expert by any means. Good luck.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 17

Did you PM Serious_Cakes? She might not see this thread.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 17

I use her recipe too. I think you have added too much of liquid. You cannot go by the amount of liquid called in any icing recipe since it depends on how hot and humid the weather is. You can add some more confectioner's sugar or try adding some corn starch and mixing it. Her frosting sure is yummy and I like it mainly because it uses most of butter.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 17

If you check out serious_cakes on youtube, she gives a little more detail on what she is doing and you can see exactly what she does and how she does it.......
She has quite a few vid's and one specifically for her B/C
hth

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 1 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 17

Is this recipe in the recipe section?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #7 of 17

I use her recipe exclusively (except I use hi-ratio instead of Crisco) to me it looks like you may be mixing it on too high a speed. I only mix on 2 or 3 the highest, it takes longer but you won't get any air in your icing.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #8 of 17

what attachment are you using on your mixer?

lvspaisley Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #9 of 17

Thanks for all of your replies...I use the paddle that came with my KitchenAid...and I usually mix it on about 3...today I beat it a little higher I think though, maybe that is why? I will try slowing it down.

I have watched those videos til I have them memorized, but I can't get it as smooth as SC's. I ordered the Beater Blade today, hoping that might make a difference??

I do tend to mix my color in the mixer because I have lupus and severe arthritis in my hands, which makes it hard to tint by hand...maybe I'm mixing it too long??

Thanks again for all of your advice. Maybe I should try hi-ratio shortening??

Kristi

lvspaisley Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 17

Just bumping this up....

pattycakesnj Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 17

I have the beater blade and love it, put whatever paddle you use, 3 is too high. I put my KA on the slowest speed,

lvspaisley Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 17

I will try mixing it on the lowest speed...I hope that will work....everyone loves her frosting!!

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 17

Beater blade? Im lost, its not the paddle or the whipping attachment? Where did you get it? By the way, none of the recipes I try ever come out smooth and Ive tried several different tecniques. The only sure thing I know of is Itaian Meringue Buttercream, but its more effort and more time consuming(not to mention, Expensive).

pattycakesnj Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:30pm
post #14 of 17

beater blade is a paddle you can get for your KA that has plastic along the sides that scrapes the side of the bowl as you mix. No more constant stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl. It is great just make sure you get the one for your size KA, they come in different sizes depending on your model.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #15 of 17

thanks for all the info girls!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #16 of 17

If you make a larger batch and cover your paddle completely you wont get any air in your icing. But you still need to mix it at about speed 3.

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspaisley

Just bumping this up....

Just a quick question...what does this bumping thing mean? icon_confused.gif

I also got my KA beater blade (at amazon) and I got the pink one! icon_lol.gif I haven't used it yet so I'm pretty excited. Thanks to everyone for their input as I will be making BC this week for the first time using CC recipes. I can't wait. All your tips will help tremendously.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%