Cake Insurance?

Business By layers Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm by penellan

layers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
layers Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 25

I have a home based business, it's registered and insured. Recently I was asked by a couple who are getting married if I had cake insurance they can purchase. What is this? In all my years in business (3years) I've never heard of such thing.
They then asked, if the wedding cake does not arrive or if there was an accident with the cake would there be a replacement cake?
In this case what do people normally do? I've never dropped a cake before, nor have I made a cake that they didn't like, nor have I been late to deliver a cake. From what I understand is that this "cake insurance" is suppose to cover what might happen. So where can I find this "cake insurance" and how do I get it?so I can provide it to my clients?

24 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 May 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 25

From what I've read (and it's just a little bit so I could be wrong), wedding insurance may cover the cake, but wedding insurance is something that the couple would purchase from their insurance provider.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:31am
post #3 of 25

Tell them to check into wedding insurance, I agree. But it's just insurance - if there's a disaster, it might return them some money but it's not a magic wand. If a tornado hit your shop or you were rear ended on the way to their reception, there wont be a cake. Cakes just don't appear out of thin air and, no, you can't bake two just for them unless they want to pay you to make two and drive them separately like parents who take separate planes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 25

These people watch too much TV. If something happened to your cake due to your neglect, your liability insurance would kick in. If they want reimbursed for something that is not due to your neglect, they buy wedding day insurance.

2nd cakes magically appearing only happen on the Micky Mouse CLub with their magic oven.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 25

I just saw an episode of "rich bride, poor bride" where the couple had cake insurance....must be some crazy canadian thing....LOL! I've looked but can't find the cakery that they went with....the cake fell, and there was a replacement there in under an hour...crazy!!! I'd love to get the details on this insurance they're offering!

Here's a clip of the cake...

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 25

I asked a question about that episode once!! lol!!

Here's the explination I got!!

The baker offers "insurance" for X amount of dollars
i.e. bakes the same size and flavour cakes and keeps them on hand in the event of a disaster, like callapsed table or drunken uncle, then when they get the call, they can assemble a replacement cake of the same size and flavour with minimal to no decorations.. it's an interesting idea.. but I'm not sure what I'd charge, and how do you offer it to your clients without it looking like a money grab, or a JINX!! lol..

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 25

ok, i have heard of wedding day ins, but not the cake ins. nutty!

layers Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

I just saw an episode of "rich bride, poor bride" where the couple had cake insurance....must be some crazy canadian thing....LOL! I've looked but can't find the cakery that they went with....the cake fell, and there was a replacement there in under an hour...crazy!!! I'd love to get the details on this insurance they're offering!

Here's a clip of the cake...

I remember seeing that one too. It's funny how bakers don't know, but brides and wedding planners know everything. lol.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 25

I had one bride ask for it, so I asked her what she want from me if I provided cake insurance for her. She said she didn't know, but another bakery told her for $200 they would provide her with it, so if there was a car accident or anything else, they would have another cake ready...

So I'm thinking this could be a bank way to make extra $$. They pay you a couple hundred bucks more and IF something happens...

I've never had anything happen. I tell people that with no cake insurance at all, I have a couple of dummy cakes I have decorated and if someone totally outlandish happened, I would bring one of those to put on their table, and pick up some sheet cakes.

indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I had one bride ask for it, so I asked her what she want from me if I provided cake insurance for her. She said she didn't know ......

icon_lol.gif This floors me!

bride: I want to pay for cake insurance!
caker: What is that?
bride: I have no idea but PLEASE let me spend money on something that I have no idea what the heck it is ... and since the wedding shows talk about it all the time, it MUST be something I have to have!! dunce.gif

Ranks right up there with:
"I want a FULL sheet cake."
"How big is that?"
"I've no idea but that's the terminology everyone uses and since I want to sound like one of the cool kids, I'll ask for a full sheet cake, even tho' I'm only feeding 10 people."

aligotmatt Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 25

Hey ya know, if I got a good enough explanation, I may get on the cake insurance bus...

I wonder if the other decorator just really tried to sell her on the importance of it. I don't know...

indydebi Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:

Hey ya know, if I got a good enough explanation, I may get on the cake insurance bus...

icon_lol.gif you know, this could be a good thing! I can see collecting an extra $200 that I can keep regardless .... and then having a simple, just iced, not decorated cake in the freezer "just in case" I have to deliver it and cover it with silk flowers!

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmm!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 25

I'll jump on that band wagon... In fact!! I'll start my own cake insurance brokerage..

aligotmatt Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

icon_lol.gif you know, this could be a good thing! I can see collecting an extra $200 that I can keep regardless .... and then having a simple, just iced, not decorated cake in the freezer "just in case" I have to deliver it and cover it with silk flowers!

Things that make ya go "Hmmmmmm!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

see I don't have the freezer space, but you could totally do this!! You could pipe on some quick swirls, real ribbon border, ta da! Cake insured.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #15 of 25
Quote:

Quote:

I had one bride ask for it, so I asked her what she want from me if I provided cake insurance for her. She said she didn't know ......

bride: I have no idea but PLEASE let me spend money on something that I have no idea what the heck it is ... and since the wedding shows talk about it all the time, it MUST be something I have to have!! dunce.gif

"How big is that?"
"I've no idea but that's the terminology everyone uses and since I want to sound like one of the cool kids, I'll ask for a full sheet cake, even tho' I'm only feeding 10 people."

LMAO!!! Seriously!!

I'm just amazed at the way the cake was an exact replica, right down to the red roses....I guess that it's really not that often someone would need to call in their insurance....could be a really crazy way to rake in the $!!

layers Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Quote:

Quote:

"How big is that?"

LMAO!!! Seriously!!

I'm just amazed at the way the cake was an exact replica, right down to the red roses....I guess that it's really not that often someone would need to call in their insurance....could be a really crazy way to rake in the $!!

stop! stop! stop! I'm going to pee my pants! hahaha You guys are a great bunch.
I can't believe that I'm actually toying with this. Charging an extra $200.00 for ins.. what are the chances that the wedding cake does not arrive..maybe 1 out of 5.hahaha I'll be singing "I'm in the money" all the way to the bank.

missbeth5281 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missbeth5281 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:31am
post #17 of 25

My idea of Cake Insurance is telling them that if I mess it up, I'll run to the nearest grocery store bakery and grab the closest thing I can find or have them decorate a new cake really quick icon_smile.gif It's on me, if I mess up.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #18 of 25

What would you do with the extra cake if not needed????? A bakery would have room for it, but may not have another bride for it. Sounds like alot of baking and decorating for a WHAT IF not to mention waste.

My friend did have one cake disaster as we were delivering a wedding cake. Luckily we had enough time to bake and decorate a new cake to cover the one destroyed layer.

My only cake disaster was a friend's mother's 85th birthday. The SPS plate broke, cracked up to the middle, after the cake was on the plate and started to transport. I bought the bottom cakes uniced and frozen from a local grocery store bakery. Iced and deocrated before the event started and all turned out fine.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:

These people watch too much TV. If something happened to your cake due to your neglect, your liability insurance would kick in. If they want reimbursed for something that is not due to your neglect, they buy wedding day insurance.

2nd cakes magically appearing only happen on the Micky Mouse CLub with their magic oven.

Lol! The magic oven! That's awesome!

indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 25

freeze it and sell it to another bride down the road. one-time-work; double-money.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 8:31pm
post #21 of 25

I am shaking my head in amazement. icon_confused.gif Cake insurance. I'm not sure that I would want to go to a bakery that could give me another cake within an hour.

That video clip seemed a bit too contrived. Do you think it was for real, or for reality tv... Who was she anyway??

Where were the cuss words, cuz let me tell you, her "sor-ry" would be right up where the sun don't shine and then cops would have had to show up.... It would have been seriously ugly. icon_evil.gif

deanna_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanna_cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:10am
post #22 of 25

I used to work at an insurance office. One day our guy from Traveler's Insurance came in with some Wedding Insurance Packets. I thought whoa, that seems like no one would buy it, but as I was reading the info, I thought it was a brilliant idea... like, what if the caterer backed out after giving them a deposit, what if i lost my wedding ring the day before the wedding, or what if a hurricane decides to crash my outdoor ceremony? Traveler's has a really good FAQ section on their website: w w w dot protectmywedding dot com/faq dot html...check it out. BTW, i am in no way working for this company or endorsing them, but it is an interesting idea. It is one the bride will need to take to her insurance company. I don't think the laws will allow just anyone to sell this, You have to have an insurance license (at least here in Cali)... not too terribly expensive when you think about how much you spend on a wedding anyway..

indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:02pm
post #23 of 25

Wedding DAY insurance is not the same as this Cake Insurance. Two TOTALLY separate things. I work in a lot of venues that require the couple to have wedding day insurance.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:

freeze it and sell it to another bride down the road. one-time-work; double-money.

I'm thinking if you get one of these "brides on a budget" you can tell her you have a "special" on such-n-such flavor - just for her!! 25% off! LOL! Cha-ching!

You CC'ers make me laugh!! Too funny!

penellan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penellan Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:55pm
post #25 of 25

Alot of companies, such as www.weddingprotect.com - are now offering comprehensive forms of wedding insurance covering various things from the gown to the wedding cake. I guess anything anyone is spending that much money on they want insured?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%