Fondant Flowers - Best Way?

Decorating By JodiKlug Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm by panchanewjersey

JodiKlug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodiKlug Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 6

I've been adding rolled fondat flower decorations to my cakes, which are nice - I'm using the Wilton boxed stuff. But, sometimes I can't find the right color, and I'm not sure I really like that fondant. Is there something better that I should use? I see the marshmallow recipe, but I wonder if it's stiff enough to "cookie cut" flowers out of it. Any tips are welcome!

5 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 6

The great thing about the marshmallow fondant is that you can make it stiffer if you need to. I love it!! It's inexpensive to make, tastes a TON better than the Wilton stuff and you can adjust the consistency. I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe and LOVE it!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, try the marshmallow fondant recipe and see what you think. Very easy to put together and very nice to work with.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 6

If you need to roll MMF thinner add Tylose powder to it. It will turn it into gumpaste which you can roll thinner and it will dry harder and faster.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 6

If you need to roll MMF thinner add Tylose powder to it. It will turn it into gumpaste which you can roll thinner and it will dry harder and faster.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 6

That tylose stuff really works, I just sprinkle some on my fondant and make my figures and it dries nice and hard and stays put. But just wondering how well it does with flowers, for some reason I always felt that gumpaste wirks alot better and look more natural. Can anyone tell me what's worked for them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%