Self-Taught

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 4 May 2009 , 6:21pm by Reimagining_Confections

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #31 of 51

I'm self-taught too. One of these days I'll finally take some classes (I'd love to!) but for now I'll keep playing around and experimenting on my own. Thank goodness for the great folks here on CC who have answered my questions and provided inspiration!

Bec

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:39am
post #32 of 51

I am basically self-taught. I've taken one formal class.

Books...DVD's are a wonderful source of knowledge.

Jen icon_smile.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:42am
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I am basically self-taught. I've taken one formal class.

Books...DVD's are a wonderful source of knowledge.

Jen icon_smile.gif

me too! though i don't have any dvd's. just discovered a few lessons' on Youtube last year (yah i'm a bit behind lol) i first learned my First design cake by watching martha stewart show Years ago when she did the basket cake with candied pansies. everytime i'd do a cake before that i always kept thinking their had to be a better way.. kept asking around for shaped pans etc. even at some cake shops - had little luck back then. my first carved cake was that semi truck in my photos.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 1 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #34 of 51

Like everyone else, I have learned from books and the internet. If I had been exposed to cake decorating at an early age, I know I would have taken a different course in life and went to pastry school. I didn't realize then that I could combine two of my favorite things--sweets and art! Now if I could just figure out how to exercise while simultaneously baking, life would be great! icon_biggrin.gif

jnmcustomkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnmcustomkakes Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #35 of 51

DrTina that's hilarious!! If you ever figure it out, sign me up!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 May 2009 , 3:27am
post #36 of 51

I too am self-taught. I started playing around in HS, was making wedding cakes for my friends in college, taught school for several years, but the cake urge kept growing. Now here I am, a shopowner for 15 years, with a staff of 12 decorators who I have trained.

I never dreamed my "playing around" would lead to this fabulous career!

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #37 of 51

I use mostly SMBC or IMBC. It is a smoother, less sweet icing-although a little more work. But soooo worth it!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #38 of 51

self-taught. never attended any cake related or decorating courses before. i learned a lot from CC. A LOT.

revco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revco Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:44pm
post #39 of 51

Self taught as well. I keep saying some day I will take a class or something. Right now it's just for fun

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:03pm
post #40 of 51

Also self taught, but with lots research on the internet, books and now DVDs!

I am now a cake supply junky, with tools and and a whole library of books and DVDs, and I can't help myself I must have them ALL!!!!

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #41 of 51

I'm still learning!! I am totally self taught ( NEED ALOT OF HELP!!) I have only made 3 cakes so far. I am a Nurse by profession but one night saw a show on cake decorating on tv, headed to Micheal's (didnt know where else to go) and made my first cake. I'd love to take some classes to learn more. I have learned more from this site than I can have ever imagined! EVERYONE is so helpful! Now I find myself asking people if they need cakes for ANYTHING! Just so I can practice.
Katie

slush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slush Posted 1 May 2009 , 2:46pm
post #42 of 51

Am self tought and still learning!! my first inspiration came from an ancient M&S book on cake decorating that my mum had (now I've got it!!)
Have spent a uncountable amount on time on line, learning, learning, learning!
I have now started selling my cakes but would NEVER have taken the plunge without the backing of this site! It's an absolute brick! so inspiring!!

THANK YOU!!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 May 2009 , 11:21pm
post #43 of 51

I'm self taught and totally ambitious. I always challenge myself.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 2 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #44 of 51

100% self-taught and doggone proud of it. I am always seeking new challenges and I am very ambitious!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 2 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I'm self taught and totally ambitious. I always challenge myself.

Your avatar cake is amazing! I say if you and JenniferMI and the countless others here are self taught .. there is hope for me yet!! icon_lol.gif
Ya'll ROCK!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #46 of 51

I consider myself........."""""Toneda Taught""""" mostly from her video's and others also but mainly Edna's. She is such a great teacher. Other than video's and CC help I am self taught I spose. No classes here. Bless each and every cake decorator on here because we all learn, teach and enjoy!

Chippi!

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:00am
post #47 of 51

I'm completely self taught. I started cake decorating 2.5 years ago and last June launched my own business from home and haven't looked back! My only problems is that there are so many techniques/designs that I want to try but there's not enough time!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:18am
post #48 of 51

Pretty much self taught, mainly here, dvds, and books. Taking my first class with Alan Dunn in 1 week.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #49 of 51

[quote="aligotmatt"]I would say I'm self taught-ish. I've never attended a class, but I've bought a bunch of DVD's, watched a lot of online tutorials, read every how to on CC, and asked a lot of questions. I have probably 20 cake books with different techniques.

SO, if it came down to it, I've been taught by Margaret Braun, Colette Peters, Nicholas Lodge, Sharon Zambito, Edna, Debbie Brown, Elisa Strauss, Martha Stewart, Toba Garrett... I think you get the point. As much as I can say I'm self taught, it's not like I sat around and just figured it out all on my own, ya know? Plenty of awesome resources.
quote]
Ditto!
I have been decorating almost two years, without all my books and this site I would know nothing.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #50 of 51

I am self taught and have started taking classes as well as joined ICES.

I am thinking of purchasing some videos - anyone have a good one or two?

Sugarshack vs. cakesmadeeasy.com?

Thanks, Dizzy

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #51 of 51

Hi There,

I am a self taught baker/decorator. I am an artist and after having kids, I havn't had the chance to get out my art supplies and paint, draw(to messy, unsafe near kids-fumes and such). So my daughter needed treats for class- holidays, teachers appreciation, etc. I recieved a beautiful bouquet of cookies at my daughters birth, but I nearly broke a tooth on the cookies. So pretty- so inedible!! I though let's give it a try. I started with decorated cookies, got addicted to cake shows and thought- hey I can do that. Now its snow balled. I am a cake central, cake programming, cake/cookie decorating addict!!!

I love CC and have learned a ton and am still learning new and exciting techniques. I have a growing desire to blow sugar- slightly dangerous so will have to try after kids go to sleep or are in school. Can't wait.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%