Cake Boss And Website Issues

Business By bakermommy4 Updated 30 Apr 2009 , 5:24am by bakermommy4

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #1 of 8

Today is my day for sooo many questions. I just got my license and I'm soooo excited. Here are some of my issues.

1. Has anyone bought the Cake Boss program and if so....is it worth the investment?

2. I bought a website from yahoo and let a friend of mines design it. Even though it came with templates I still couldn't figure it out. The problem is, she used all the wording I asked her to use, but she has tons of pics on the site that she just "googled". I've been sitting with this for 3 days now and I'm kinda uncomfortable because it's not my work. I haven't been taking pics of my work so I had none to give her and she said it just didn't look right without pics. So now what should I do? Should I tell her to mention on the site that I CAN do this work but this actual pics are not mine?

Sorry so long but I need help

7 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #2 of 8

I absolutely would not post other peoples' pictures, even with giving credit. There is no faster way to incur the intense wrath of the cake decorating community than to use pictures of cakes that aren't yours. I recommend you take them down from your web site as soon as possible, and just put an "under construction" note on those pages.

You should make up some dummy cakes and take pictures of them to show your work.

Maybe some of the people you've made your cakes for have pictures that they'd send you.

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #3 of 8

have not used Cake Boss so I can't help you there, but on the website thing, I don't think that I would be using someone else's work. If you have a gallary page, just put up something that says something like under construction. But use something cakish to describe it. Something like "Still in the Oven" or "Still decorating" or "Finishing the Final Touches" You get the jist. Then as you get more cake pictures, add them on. Before you know it, there will be lots of pics! Congrats on getting licensed!

bakermommy4 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:10am
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for the advice...it's exactly what I worry about...not being welcomed in the community of cake decorating. I appreciate your honesty because this was really working on my nerves...just didn't sit right with me ya know

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #5 of 8

Big congratulations on getting licensed, by the way! A HUGE milestone. It's so much more work than I thought it would be...

bakermommy4 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:15am
post #6 of 8

Ruth 0209...I didn't know the definition of hard work until after going through this process. Who would have known there was sooo much red tape. Thanks for congrats.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 8

A long time ago my dad was making me a website as a surprise. He went and found pics online and posted them. Some, at the time I could not even think of doing. It was hard, but I had to tell him that he had to take them off. I explained to him that it just was not right. Like taking the credit for the work when I hadn't done it. People rarely read the fine print even when it is in bold. They just see pics and say oooohhh aaahhhhh.
I would remove them. Just add pics as you go. Maybe put some sketches up until you get some dummies made.

bakermommy4 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 5:24am
post #8 of 8

She's taking the pics down as we speak. Thanks so much for your honesty ladies, I do want to make sure I start off on the right foot, that's why I'm here at CC...there is such a wealth of info and it is quite addicting too.

Oh, and I found another thread pertaining to my cake boss issue. It seems to be worth the investment according to several other decorators here. I think I'm gonna go with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%